Astro-Tech AT106 106mm f/6.5 FPL-53 ED Triplet Apochromatic Refractor Telescope
The performance of the Astro-Tech 106mm FPL-53 ED (Extra-low Dispersion glass) triplet apochromatic refractor is outstanding. A nearly four-page review of the AT106 in the September 2009 Sky & Telescope concluded simply “the Astro-Tech AT106 provides all the benefits of a first-class 4-inch apo but without the premium price. I highly recommend it.”
All of the lenses in the fully-multicoated air-spaced triplet optics of the AT106 are fabricated from Ohara glass (Ohara is Japan’s premier manufacturer of specialized optical glass), including the first-quality FPL-53 center element. The result of using the best possible glass is the finest possible control of spurious color. The AT106 images are free of all vestiges of the annoying faint color halos around bright objects visible in lesser scopes – despite the Astro-Tech’s fast focal ratio, and even at very high magnifications. The lens is fully collimatable in the field for peak performance.
The Sky & Telescope
review said that the AT106 “had absolutely first-class color correction. There was no visible chromatic aberration, even on the brightest targets. When defocused, star images presented nary a trace of false color. Unlike some apos that provide minimal color only when precisely in focus, images in the AT106 were not subjected to flickering false-color halos as poor seeing caused images to sharpen and defocus . . . tight double stars were cleanly resolved and planets exhibited excellent detail – in all cases, images snapped into clean focus.”
Those optics – “first-class” according to Sky & Telescope
– come in a finely-machined body with a newly-designed dual speed 2.7” Crayford focuser that has a microfine 10:1 fine-focusing ratio. The focuser can rotate a full 360° to put your camera or eyepiece in the most comfortable observing position. The supplied 2” and 1.25” accessory holders use non-marring brass compression rings that won’t scratch your eyepiece barrels. The 2” accessory holder can itself rotate 360°, independent of the focuser, so you can make a final tweak of the photographic composition or diagonal viewing angle without having to adjust the focuser itself a second time. The white and gun metal grey Astro-Tech AT106 has a retractable lens shade and comes in a locking aluminum-frame carrying case.
If you want all the benefits of a first-class 4-inch apochromatic refractor, but without the premium price, choose the telescope that Sky & Telescope can “highly recommend” – the Astro-Tech AT106.
Astro-Tech AT106 106mm f/6.5 FPL-53 ED Triplet Apochromatic Refractor Telescope Features...
- 106mm f/6.5 air-spaced triplet apochromatic ED optics
- All Ohara glass, from Japan’s best known specialty optical glass manufacturer, including a premium FPL-53 ED (Extra-low Dispersion) element
- Fully broadband multicoated, with blackened lens edges
- Collimatable lens cell
- Rotating dual-speed 2.7” Crayford focuser with 10:1 ratio fine focusing
- Non-marring 2” and 1.25” brass compression ring eyepiece holders
- Self-storing retractable lens shade
- Long-lasting white paint finish, with hard anodized grey trim
- Slip-on metal dust cap
- Aluminum-frame foam-fitted hard case
- Excellent Sky & Telescope review
- Two-year warranty
Astro-Tech Product Number: AT106