Orion SkyQuest XX14i Dobsonian Telescope, Shroud and Case Set
The Orion XX14i IntelliScope Dobsonian telescope turns the night sky into an endless playground of deep-space surprises for intermediate and advanced observing enthusiasts. The space-penetrating 14" (356mm) parabolic primary mirror features enhanced reflectivity (94%) aluminum coatings to deliver an astounding amount of light to the eye. What do 14" optics have in the way of extra light gathering power compared to 10" and 12" optics? Plenty! The XX14i pulls in 36% more light than a 12" and 96% more than 10" optics, allowing you to resolve significantly fainter objects and more subtle details.
This complete reflector telescope set includes our clever and portable large-aperture Orion SkyQuest XX14i Intelliscope Truss Tube Dobsonian, a specially designed Light Shroud for the truss telescope tube, and a custom-fitted Case Set to hold and transport everything safely. It's got everything you need for big-aperture telescope adventures on-the-go!
SkyQuest XX14i IntelliScope Truss Tube Dobsonian
Once your observing target is locked in utilizing the IntelliScope Computerized Object Locator's database of 14,000 celestial objects, the XX14i's dual-speed (11:1) 2" Crayford focuser lets you quickly bring the object into crisp, clear focus using either of the included telescope eyepieces: a low-power 35mm 2" DeepView or high power 10mm 1.25" Sirius Plössl. With a maximum eyepiece height of 63", viewing through the XX14i will not require a stool or ladder for most observers, even when observing objects near zenith.
The SkyQuest XX14i telescope adds a convenient new twist to truss-tube Dobsonian portability by allowing easy disassembly of both the optical tube and the base into smaller, easily manageable pieces. The optical tube itself features an eight-pole truss design (four captive pairs) that provides greater structural rigidity than similar 6-pole truss or 3-pole "parallel strut" designs. Large hand knobs and captive bolts make for user-friendly assembly and disassembly of the tube sections. To minimize the size of the bottom section of the XX14i's optical tube, it has been engineered with three removable, recessed counterweights that provide the optimum balance for the tube on its 8" diameter altitude hubs.
The Orion-designed collapsible Dobsonian base, made of fully 1"-thick laminated wood panels for rock-solid stability, adds to the portability of the XX14i telescope. The base quickly breaks down into four pieces without tools, to easily fit into standard sized automobiles. All hardware is captive to prevent accidental loss. The SkyQuest XX14i IntelliScope Truss Tube Dobsonian makes owning a large-aperture Dobsonian more exciting and more practical than ever before. Its synthesis of pack-it-up portability, incredible optics, IntelliScope digital object location system, and affordable prices puts it in a league of its own. It's an all-star performer for the visual astronomer who is ready for "deeper-sky" adventures!
SkyQuest XX14i Light Shroud For the best performance from any truss Dobsonian, a light shroud is a must. This one, custom designed for the SkyQuest XX14i telescope, is made of a stretchy nylon blend material that fits like a glove over the truss poles of the XX14i, fastening with thick elastic bands on both ends. The water-resistant, opaque black fabric blocks stray light from entering the optical path, thus improving image contrast. It's also breathable, which minimizes unwanted vibration of the scope in breezy conditions. Use of the shroud will lessen the accumulation of dust and dirt on the telescope mirrors during use, and will help prevent dew from forming on them. Made in the U.S.A.
SkyQuest XX14i Truss Tube Dobsonian Case Set The beauty of a big truss tube Dobsonian telescope is that it can be disassembled into conveniently sized components for easy transport. Transporting the SkyQuest XX14i will be much easier, and the components much better protected, with this set of cases designed just for the XX14i. The set includes three cases plus a secondary mirror cover. Each case is made of durable, waterproof, 600-denier polyester/nylon material with a urethane coating and a 100% nylon lining, double stitched for extra strength. There are separate padded cases for the upper and lower telescope optical tube sections as well as a case for the truss poles. The truss poles slip into separate compartments to prevent direct contact among them. The lower optical tube case also has a zippered pocket to hold accessories. All the XX14i cases have carrying handles. Lastly, the soft nylon secondary mirror "sock" is included to keep the mirror free of dust when the scope is idle. Keep your SkyQuest XX14i Truss Tube Dob looking like new and get it to your observing site more easily and securely with this set of custom cases. Made in the U.S.A.
Meets or exceeds all California State Environmental Quality & Safety Regulations (CARB 93120 Phase 2 Compliant).
Bobs Knobs- Limited Time Offer!
Orion SkyQuest XX14i Dobsonian Telescope, Shroud and Case Set Specifications...
- Best for viewing: Fainter deep sky
- User level: Advanced
- Optical design: Reflector
- Optical diameter: 356mm
- Focal length: 1650mm
- Focal ratio: f/4.6
- Optics type: Parabolic
- Glass material: Low thermal expansion glass
- Eyepieces: 35mm DeepView - 2"; 10mm Sirius Plossl - 1.25"
- Magnification with included eyepieces: 47x, 165x
- Resolving power: 0.33 arc*sec
- Lowest useful magnification: 47x
- Highest useful magnification: 300x
- Highest theoretical magnification: 712x
- Limiting stellar magnitude: 15.4
- Optical quality: Diffraction limited
- Finderscope: 9x50
- Focuser: 2" dual-speed Crayford
- Secondary mirror obstruction: 82mm
- Secondary mirror obstruction by diameter: 23%
- Secondary mirror obstruction by area: 5%
- Mirror coatings/ over-coatings: Aluminum & Silicon Dioxide
- Mount type: Dobsonian
- Astro-imaging capability: Simple moon shots
- Computerized compatibility: Intelliscope included
- Alignment procedure: 2-Star Alignment
- Number of objects in database: 14,000+
- Bearing material: AZ: Ebony Star/PTFE, ALT: UHMW/ABS
- Power requirement: 9-volt battery
- Setting circles: Electronic, via the hand controller
- Available ports: RS-232
- Tube material: Steel
- Tripod material: Wood
- Optical tube length: 61"
- Optical tube weight: 63.5 lb.
- Mount weight: 44.5 lb.
- Weight, fully assembled: 120 lb.
- Additional included accessories: Collapsible base design for excellent portability, 2" Dual-Speed Crayford focuser w/ 1.25" adapter
- Other features: IntelliScope Object Locator (w/ 9-volt battery), EbonyStar on Virgin Teflon azimuth bearings, Large 8" altitude bearings w/ adjustable tension
Orion Product Number: 24442
- Additional Information
SKU OR-24442 Manufacturer Orion Telescope Series Orion SkyQuest Optical Design Newtonian Reflector - Open Truss Mount Type Dobsonian Cradle Warranty 1 Year Warranty Telescope Aperture 14" Telescope Focal Length 1650mm Telescope Focal Ratio f/4.6 Highest Useful Magnification 300x Limiting Stellar Magnitude 15.4 OTA Mount Type Dobsonian Cradle Optical Tube Outer Diameter 356mm Length of Optical Tube 61" Optical Tube Weight 63.5 lb. Mount Weight 44.5 lb. Total Telescope Weight 120 lb. Objects in Database 14,000+ Alignment Procedure 2-Star Alignment Tripod Type Included None, Not Required CD ROMs Included Starry Night SE Eyepiece(s) Included 10mm Sirius Plossl, 35mm DeepView Case Included? Yes Hand Controller Included? Yes Diagonal Included? No - Not Required Power Adapter Included None - Requires 9V Battery Finder Included 9 x 50 Optical Finder
- Included Items
- Orion SkyQuest XX14" f/4.6 IntelliScope Truss-Tube Dobsonian Reflector w/ Parabolic Pyrex Primary Optics
- 9-point Flotation Primary Mirror Cell with Spring Loaded Thumbscrew Collimation Adjustments
- 4 groups of Two-Pole Rotatable Truss Assemblies with Captive Assembly Knobs
- 2" Dual-Speed (11:1) Crayford Focuser
- Orion Collapsible Base Design with Side Braces for Increased Stability
- Base outfitted with EbonyStar on non-stick PTFE azimuth bearings for optimized motion
- Large 8" diameter ABS Plastic Altitude Bearings with Adjustable CorrecTension Knobs
- Navigation Knob
- IntelliScope Computerized Object Locator System
- 9-volt Battery (for IntelliScope Object Locator)
- Base Handle
- Eyepiece Rack
- 9x50 Finder Scope
- 35mm DeepView 2" Telescope Eyepiece
- 10mm Sirius Plossl Telescope Eyepiece
- Dust covers for top and bottom tube sections
- Collimation Cap
- Starry Night Special Edition Software
- Detailed Instruction Manual
- Case for Top Tube Section
- Case for Bottom Tube Section
- Case for Truss Pole Assemblies
- Soft Cover for Secondary Mirror
- Questions & Answers
Product QuestionsNo questions yet. Be the first to ask the question!
- Support / Downloads