Orion SkyQuest XX12i Dobsonian Telescope, Shroud and Case Set
If the idea of a big-aperture telescope appeals to you, but the portability issue has kept you on the fence, you can hop off it now. We've got the perfect solution - the SkyQuest XX12i IntelliScope Truss Tube Dob. It's a deep-sky observer's dream scope, offering jumbo 12" Pyrex optics (f/4.9); a stylish, reduced-weight base outfitted with IntelliScope object location technology; and a sturdy truss tube design that disassembles in about a minute into compact, easily portable components.
SkyQuest XX12i IntelliScope Truss Tube Dobsonian:
Finally, a deluxe, large-aperture Dobsonian that fits comfortably in a compact car for transport to your favorite observing site! The eight trusses (four captive pairs) provide more-rigid support than other designs in this category. We've also outfitted the XX12i base with nothing but the best materials: EbonyStar laminate and non-stick PTFE azimuth bearing surfaces provide silky smooth azimuth motion. Equipped with dual-speed (11:1) 2" Crayford focuser, large 8" altitude bearings, full set of great accessories, a computerized database of 14,000 celestial objects - and a price just north of a grand! - the XX12i is one killer telescope deal.
It's the big Dob you've dreamed of owning, and now you can take it with you wherever dark skies beckon! Get the practical, amazingly affordable SkyQuest XX12i and hit the road to astronomical adventure.
SkyQuest XX12i Truss Tube Dobsonian Shroud: Black shrouds are usually so funereal - but not when you're talking truss tube Dobs! For the best performance from any truss Dob, a shroud is a must. This one, custom designed for the SkyQuest XX12i, is made of a stretchy nylon blend material that fits like a glove over the truss poles of the XX12i, fastening with thick elastic bands on both ends.
The water-resistant, opaque black fabric blocks stray light from entering the optical path, thus improving image contrast. It's also breathable, which minimizes unwanted vibration of the scope in breezy conditions. Use of the shroud will lessen the accumulation of dust and dirt on the mirrors during use, and will help prevent dew from forming on them. Made in the U.S.A.
SkyQuest XX12i Truss Tube Dobsonian Case Set: The beauty of a big truss tube Dob is that it can be disassembled into conveniently sized components for easy transport. And transporting the SkyQuest XX12i will be much easier, and the components much better protected, with this set of cases designed just for the XX12i.
The set includes three cases plus a secondary mirror cover. Each case is made of durable, waterproof, 600-denier polyester/nylon material with a urethane coating and a 100% nylon lining, and double stitched for extra strength. There are separate padded cases for the upper and lower optical tube sections as well as a case for the truss poles. The poles slip into separate compartments to prevent direct contact among them.
The truss case attaches to the lower optical tube case with a hook-and-loop fastener so the two can be carried together as one. The lower tube case also has a zippered pocket to hold accessories. All the cases have carrying handles. Lastly, the soft nylon secondary mirror "sock" is included to keep the mirror free of dust when the scope is idle. Keep your SkyQuest XX12i Truss Tube Dob looking like new and get it to your observing site more easily and securely with this set of custom cases. Made in the U.S.A.
Meets or exceeds all California State Environmental Quality & Safety Regulations (CARB 93120 Phase 2 Compliant).
Orion SkyQuest XX12i Dobsonian Telescope, Shroud and Case Set Specifications...
- Best for viewing: Fainter deep sky
- Best for imaging: Lunar & planetary
- User level: Advanced
- Optical design: Reflector
- Optical diameter: 305mm
- Focal length: 1500mm
- Focal ratio: f/4.9
- Optics type: Parabolic
- Glass material: Low thermal expansion glass
- Eyepieces: 35mm DeepView - 2"; 10mm Sirius Plossl - 1.25"
- Magnification with included eyepieces: 42x, 150x
- Resolving power: 0.38 arc*sec
- Lowest useful magnification: 42x
- Highest useful magnification: 300x
- Highest theoretical magnification: 610x
- Limiting stellar magnitude: 15.1
- Optical quality: Diffraction limited
- Finderscope: 9x50
- Focuser: 2" dual-speed Crayford
- Secondary mirror obstruction: 70mm
- Secondary mirror obstruction by diameter: 23%
- Secondary mirror obstruction by area: 5%
- Mirror coatings/ over-coatings: Aluminum & Silicon Dioxide
- Mount type: Dobsonian
- Astro-imaging capability: Simple moon shots
- Computerized Compatibility: Intelliscope included
- Number of objects in database: 14,000+
- Bearing material: AZ: Ebony Star/PTFE, ALT: UHMW/ABS
- Power requirement: 9-volt battery
- Setting circles: Electronic, via the hand controller
- Tube material: Steel
- Tripod material: Wood
- Optical tube length: 58.3"
- Optical tube weight: 49.5 lb.
- Mount weight: 34 lb.
- Weight, fully assembled: 86.5 lb.
- Additional included accessories: Cooling accelerator fan included, 2" dual-speed Crayford focuser w/ 1.25" adapter
- Other features: IntelliScope object locator (w/ 9-volt battery), EbonyStar on virgin teflon azimuth bearings, Large 8" altitude bearings w/ adjustable tension
Bobs Knobs- Limited Time Offer!
Orion Product Number: 24443
- Additional Information
SKU OR-24443 Manufacturer Orion Telescope Series Orion SkyQuest Optical Design Newtonian Reflector - Open Truss Mount Type Dobsonian Cradle Warranty 1 Year Warranty Telescope Aperture 12" Telescope Focal Length 1500mm Telescope Focal Ratio f/4.9 Highest Useful Magnification 300x Limiting Stellar Magnitude 15.1 OTA Mount Type Dobsonian Cradle Optical Tube Outer Diameter 305mm Length of Optical Tube 58.3" Optical Tube Weight 49.5 lb. Mount Weight 34 lb. Total Telescope Weight 86.5 lb. Objects in Database 14,000+ Tripod Type Included None, Not Required CD ROMs Included Starry Night SE Eyepiece(s) Included 10mm Sirius Plossl, 35mm DeepView Case Included? Yes Hand Controller Included? Yes Diagonal Included? No - Not Required Power Adapter Included None - Requires 9V Battery Finder Included 9 x 50 Optical Finder
- Included Items
- Orion 12" f/4.9 Truss-Tube Dobsonian Reflector Telescope w/ Parabolic Pyrex Primary Optics
- 9-point Flotation Primary Mirror Cell with Spring Loaded Thumbscrew Collimation Adjustments
- 70mm Minor-Axis Secondary Mirror on 4-vaned (0.7mm thick vanes) Secondary Holder
- 4 groups of Two-Pole Rotatable Truss Assemblies with Captive Assembly Knobs
- 2" Dual-Speed (11:1) Crayford Focuser
- Base outfitted with EbonyStar on non-stick PTFE azimuth bearings for optimized motion
- Large 8" diameter ABS plastic altitude bearings with adjustable CorrecTension knobs
- Navigation Knob
- Dobsonian IntelliScope Computerized Object Locator system
- 9-Volt Battery (for IntelliScope Object Locator)
- Base Handle
- Eyepiece Rack
- 9x50 Finder Scope
- 35mm DeepView Telescope Eyepiece - 2"
- 10mm Orion Sirius Plossl Telescope Eyepiece
- Cooling Accelerator Fan
- 12V Battery Pack for Cooling Fan (requires 8 D-cell batteries: not included)
- Dust covers for top and bottom tube sections
- Collimation Cap
- Base Assembly Hardware
- Orion Starry Night Special Edition Software
- Instruction Manual
- Case for Top Tube Section
- Case for Bottom Tube Section
- Case for Truss Pole Assemblies
- Soft Cover for Secondary Mirror
- Questions & Answers
- Support / Downloads