Orion SkyQuest XX12i IntelliScope Truss Dobsonian Telescope
Maybe the idea of a big aperture telescope appeals to you, but the portability issue has kept you on the fence. Well you can hop off that fence now because we've got the perfect solution — the "space-saving" Orion SkyQuest XX12i IntelliScope Truss Tube Dob. It's a deep-sky observer's dream scope, offering jumbo 12" (305mm) Pyrex parabolic optics of 1500mm focal length (f/4.9); a stylish, reduced-weight base outfitted with computerized IntelliScope object locating technology; and a sturdy, eight-truss tube design that disassembles in about a minute into compact, easily portable components.
Finally, a deluxe, large-aperture Dobsonian that fits comfortably into a compact car for transport to your favorite observing site! Credit the Orion SkyQuest XX12i's traditional truss tube design, which utilizes eight aluminum trusses (four captive pairs) that attach and detach quickly with oversized hand knobs — no tools required! This design provides a more rigid structural support than other designs in this category. And all assembly knobs are captive, so you won't lose any in the dark (you're welcome)! When removed, the trusses in each captive pair align in parallel, which saves space when transporting and storing them. Disassembly of the 56"-long optical tube yields two sections, the largest measuring just 26" in length.
The Orion SkyQuest XX12i Truss Dobsonian telescope improves on the already stellar features and performance of the standard Orion XT12 IntelliScope Dob. The focuser is a dual-speed (11:1) 2" Crayford with 1.25" adapter, metal focus knobs, and adjustable drawtube tension to ensure excellent, non-slip motion for any size of eyepiece used. Orion outfitted the XX12i with larger, 8" altitude bearings for smoother tube motion. The side-reinforced base sports stylish cutouts that minimize weight without sacrificing stability. EbonyStar laminate glides on virgin Teflon to give the azimuth motion the feel of silk. Fine features carried over from the XT12 include adjustable altitude tension, an open 9-point flotation primary mirror cell, and a "navigation knob" for easy slewing.
Although the primary mirror cell is extremely well ventilated, the Orion SkyQuest XX12i comes with a Cooling Accelerator Fan, which attaches to the back of the cell and facilitates faster equilibration of the mirror to ambient temperature. The secondary mirror has a 70mm minor axis and is held in a four-vane spider with very thin (0.7mm thick) vanes to minimize diffraction effects.
The acclaimed Orion IntelliScope Computerized Object Locator comes standard on the XX12i, allowing manual slewing to any of 14,000 celestial objects in just seconds, using its illuminated pushbutton keypad. It lets you spend your time viewing celestial objects instead of hunting for them. What's more, with the XX12i's 305mm of light-grabbing aperture, your favorite "faint fuzzies" won't look nearly so faint or fuzzy! The deep-sky views will simply dazzle you.
The XX12i comes fully loaded with great accessories, including a 9x50 finder scope, aluminum eyepiece rack, two eyepieces: a low-power 35mm (43x) DeepView 2" and a high-power 10mm (150x) Sirius Plossl 1.25", dust caps for the top and bottom optical tube sections, and a "collimating cap" to insure optical alignment of the mirrors. A convenient carrying handle is provided for the base.
It's the big Dob you've dreamed of owning, and now you can take it with you wherever dark skies beckon! Get the practical and amazingly affordable SkyQuest XX12i IntelliScope Truss Tube Dobsonian by Orion and hit the road to astronomical adventure.
Orion SkyQuest XX12i IntelliScope Truss Dobsonian Telescope Features
- A big but easily transportable 12" aperture truss-tube Dobsonian reflector with power-saving "push-to" IntelliScope Object Locator included for computerized location of over 14,000 celestial objects
- 12" aperture enhanced reflectivity (94%) parabolic optics collect plenty of light for clear, crisp views of solar system targets like the Moon and planets as well as deep space objects like cloudy nebulas, faint galaxies, and sparkling star clusters.
- Truss-tube design allows the reflector optical tube to be disassembled for easy transport to any observing site in virtually any size vehicle
- Stable Dobsonian base outfitted with EbonyStar on Virgin Teflon azimuth bearing and huge 8" altitude bearings provide smooth altazimuth panning motion for easy manual tracking of celestial objects
- Includes dual-speed (11:1) 2" Crayford focuser, 9x50 finder scope, 35mm DeepView 2" eyepiece, 10mm Sirius Plossl 1.25" eyepiece, cooling accelerator fan, eyepiece rack, collimation cap, Starry Night software and more!
When using a truss tube Dobsonian telescope for solar observing, always use a Light Shroud and a properly sized solar filter. When you install the Light Shroud make certain there are no gaps between the Shroud and the telescope where direct sunlight can reach the mirror.
When a truss tube telescope (equipped with a solar filter but no shroud) is pointing near (not at) the Sun, direct sunlight can hit the mirror and focus on the solar fi lter or other portions of the telescope. Th is can lead to eye injury or damage to the telescope. Using a Light Shroud protects your telescope from peripheral sunlight.
Before using any telescope for solar observing, make sure to install dustcaps or other protective covers on all optical components such as fi nder scopes to keep sunlight from passing through them. Glancing through an uncovered optical system even for an instant can cause permanent eye damage.
Always install protective caps on all optical instruments when left outside in direct sunlight during daylight hours.
Orion Product Number: 9793
Drop-Ship Policy Note: To expedite your order, this item will be drop-shipped directly from Orion's warehouse to you. Most of the time, shipment will occur within a day or two of your order being placed. OPT will contact you right away if there are any delays in shipment and will provide an estimated lead-time. If the product is not readily available, you will have the option to keep the order open with a 10% deposit.
If you are a local customer and plan to pick up your order at OPT, please put a note to that effect in the "comments" section of your shopping cart. We will let you know as soon as everything has arrived at our store and is ready for pick-up.
Bobs Knobs- Limited Time Offer!
If you have ordered additional Orion items, we will either drop-ship them from the manufacturer as well, or ship them directly from our own stock. Non-Orion items will be shipped directly from the OPT warehouse. Regardless, we will not charge you additional shipping charges if we split your order, so no worries there.
Please feel free to call us at 1-800-483-6287or e-mail us if you have any questions or concerns. We're here to serve you!
- Additional Information
SKU OR-10023 Manufacturer Orion Telescope Series Orion SkyQuest Optical Design Newtonian Reflector - Open Truss Mount Type Dobsonian Cradle with GoTo Warranty 1 Year Warranty Telescope Aperture 12" Telescope Focal Length 1500mm Telescope Focal Ratio f/4.9 Highest Useful Magnification 300x Limiting Stellar Magnitude 15.1 Optical Coatings Aluminum Tube Color or Finish Orion Grey Pearl OTA Mount Type N/A Optical Tube Outer Diameter Not provided by manufacturer Length of Optical Tube 58.3" Optical Tube Weight 49.5 lbs. Mount Weight 34 lbs. Total Telescope Weight 83.5 lbs. Objects in Database 14,000 Objects Alignment Procedure 2-Star Alignment Tripod Type Included None, Not Required CD ROMs Included Starry Night SE Eyepiece(s) Included 35mm (2"), 10mm (1.25") Hand Controller Included? Yes Diagonal Included? No - Not Required Dew Shield Included? No, Not Necessary Power Adapter Included None - Requires 9V Battery Counterweights Included N/A Finder Included 9 x 50 Optical Finder
- Included Items
- 12" f/4.9 Truss-Tube Dobsonian reflector w/ parabolic Pyrex primary optics
- 9-point flotation primary mirror cell with spring loaded thumbscrew collimation adjustments
- 70mm minor-axis secondary mirror on 4-vaned (0.7mm thick vanes) secondary holder
- 4 groups of two-pole rotatable truss assemblies with captive assembly knobs
- Dual-Speed (11:1) 2" Crayford focuser w/ 1.25" eyepiece adapter and adjustable focusing tension
- Unique new base design with side braces for increased stability
- Base outfitted with EbonyStar on Virgin Teflon azimuth bearings for optimized motion
- Large 8" diameter ABS plastic altitude bearings with adjustable CorrecTension knobs
- Navigation knob
- IntelliScope Object Locator system
- 9-volt battery (for IntelliScope Object Locator)
- Base handle
- Eyepiece rack (holds one 2" eyepiece and three 1.25" eyepieces)
- 9x50 finder scope
- 35mm DeepView 2" eyepiece
- 10mm Sirius Plossl eyepiece
- Cooling Accelerator Fan
- 12V battery pack for Cooling Fan (requires 8 D cell batteries: not included)
- Dust covers for top and bottom tube sections
- Collimation Cap
- Base assembly hardware
- Orion Starry Night Special Edition software
- Instruction manual
- Questions & Answers
Product QuestionsNo questions yet. Be the first to ask the question!
- Support / Downloads