Orion SkyQuest XT12g Go-To Dobsonian Telescope
Orion Dobsonian telescopes have always been known for superb optical and mechanical quality, wonderful ease of use, remarkably affordable prices. However, as with almost all other Dobsonians on the market, you had to push the telescope to your observing target by hand.
Until now. Orion is pleased to herald another giant leap in Dobsonian evolution with the introduction of the SkyQuest XTg series of fully motor driven GoTo Dobsonian telescopes, including the 12" aperture SkyQuest XT12g. Now, pointing a Dob to even the most elusive of NGC curiosities is as easy as pushing a button or two on the XT12g Dobsonian's illuminated hand controller. High-torque servo motors guided by two pairs of high-resolution encoders then slew the telescope right to your object of interest - any of over 42,000 objects in the GoTo controller's database. No more nudging the reflector telescope tube continuously to keep the object from drifting out of the field of view, either. The Orion XT12g automatically tracks the object's motion, keeping it centered in the eyepiece while you savor the view. Now that's sure to please a crowd of interested friends and family who want to take a peek in the eyepiece at the beautiful view. What's more, the closed-loop electronics of the XT12g let you move the telescope manually - or endure the accidental bump - without losing orientation for accurate, automated GoTo pointing!
The SkyQuest XT12g Dobsonian reflector combines GoTo pointing convenience with excellent portability and an amazingly affordable price (just compare its price to any other 12" GoTo telescope on the market). It features a 305mm (12") aperture, 1500mm focal-length parabolic mirror (f/4.9) made from low-thermal-expansion optical glass, with enhanced reflectivity (94%) aluminum coatings for high-definition images with maximum brightness. The primary mirror is center marked to make alignment of the optics (collimation) easier and more precise. The reflector optical tube comes equipped with a dual-speed 2" Crayford focuser (with 1.25" adapter) so views through either big 2", or powerful 1.25" telescope eyepieces will be sharp and easy to focus. The 11:1 fine focus knob ensures that you'll quickly find that ultra-sharp focus point that makes your target object pop with dazzling clarity!
The GoTo base comes with all optical encoders, drive motors, and gears pre-installed, making assembly a breeze. The optical tube drops into the base on a dovetail trunnion and locks in place with a single hand knob. A simple two-star alignment is all it takes to orient the telescope to the sky for GoTo operation. Then let the fun begin! When you're ready to call it a night, just loosen the knob and lift the tube off the base for easy transport or storage. Handles on the Dobsonian base's front and side panels make it easy to lift and carry, whether you're going from car to field, or from house to backyard.
A great complement of standard accessories with the Orion SkyQuest XT12g GoTo Dobsonian Telescope include an EZ Finder II reflex sight, removable eyepiece rack with holes for one 2" and three 1.25" telescope eyepieces, hand controller mounting bracket, quick collimation cap, a wide-field 28mm DeepView 2" telescope eyepiece, and a 12.5mm illuminated-crosshair Plossl telescope eyepiece (1.25") which enables ultra-precise GoTo system alignment. The XT12g Dobsonian requires power from a 12-volt DC field battery or AC adapter, sold separately. A DC cable is included that has a car auto-lighter style plug on one end for connecting to your 12-volt DC power source, and a coaxial plug on the other end that fits the power jack installed on the base.
You're going to love plying the night skies with the SkyQuest XT12g GoTo Dobsonian telescope. The GoTo hand controller's softly red-illuminated keypad lets you select an object from a variety of intuitive menus, or take a tour of the "best" objects in the sky at any time. The time you'll save by not having to manually search for your targets will allow you to kick back, relax, and spend more time enjoying the magnificent views through the eyepiece. The whole family can enjoy an efficient evening full of astronomical adventures with an Orion SkyQuest XT12g Dobsonian.
If you are an intermediate or advanced deep-sky hunter who wants a big-aperture telescope but not the high price tag, a Dobsonian is the way to go. And now, finally, you can have one that offers the convenience of motor driven accurate GoTo pointing - to anything in the heavens you'd like to see! Make your next telescope the Orion SkyQuest XT12g GoTo Dobsonian reflector!
Meets or exceeds all California State Environmental Quality & Safety Regulations (CARB 93120 Phase 2 Compliant).
Orion SkyQuest XT12g Go-To Dobsonian Telescope Specifications...
- Best for viewing: Fainter deep sky
- Best for imaging: Lunar & planetary
- User level: Advanced
- Optical design: Reflector
- Optical diameter: 305mm
- Focal length: 1500mm
- Focal ratio: f/4.9
- Optics type: Parabolic
- Glass material: Low thermal expansion glass
- Eyepieces: 28mm DeepView, 12.5mm Illuminated Plossl
- Magnification with included eyepieces: 54x, 120x
- Resolving power: 0.38 arc*sec
- Lowest useful magnification: 43x
- Highest useful magnification: 300x
- Highest theoretical magnification: 610x
- Limiting stellar magnitude: 15.1
- Optical quality: Diffraction limited
- Finder scope: EZ Finder II
- Focuser: 2" dual-speed Crayford
- Secondary mirror obstruction: 70mm
- Mirror coatings/ over-coatings: Aluminum & Silicon Dioxide
- Mount type: Dobsonian
- Astro-imaging capability: Simple moon shots
- Motor drive compatibility: Clock drive included
- Computerized compatibility: Go-To included
- Alignment procedure: 2-Star Alignment, Brightest Star
- Number of objects in database: 42,000+
- Tracking rates: Sidereal, Solar and Lunar
- Motor type: DC servo motors with encoders
- Bearing material: AZ: Thrust needle bearings ALT: Ball bearings
- Power requirement: 12-volt DC - 2A (tip positive)
- Available ports: RS-232, Aux
- Tube material: Steel
- Tripod material: Wood
- Optical tube length: 58.3"
- Optical tube weight: 49 lb.
- Mount/ tripod weight: 53 lb.
- Weight, fully assembled: 101.8 lb.
- Additional included accessories: Eyepiece rack, Navigation knob, 1.25" Eyepiece adapter
Orion Product Number: 10136