Meade 14" f/10 LX200-ACF Advanced Coma-Free Telescope
The most widely used research telescope on earth now comes with the most advanced optical system. Meade's LX200-ACF brings Advanced Coma-Free (ACF) optics within reach of aspiring astronomers everywhere. Nearly every observatory reflector in the world uses an aplanatic (coma-free) optical system like the Ritchey-Chrétien (RC), including NASA's Hubble Space Telescope. Now you can own similar optics to what the professionals use. The Meade LX200-ACF telescope includes all the field-proven features of the LX200 including GPS, Primary Mirror Lock, Oversized Primary Mirror, SmartDrive™; Smart Mount™, AutoStar® II and more. The new Meade LX200-ACF. It's the biggest news in astronomy since, well, the LX200.
A traditional RC design is a type of reflector that delivers a coma-free, flat field of view via hyperbolic primary and secondary mirrors. RC telescopes (from a variety of manufacturers) are found in most of the world's top observatories and NASA's Hubble Space Telescope. Because the mirrors in these telescopes have always been very expensive to make, few amateur astronomers could enjoy them. Fortunately, Meade engineers developed a radical new Advanced Coma Free design by combining a hyperbolic secondary mirror with a corrector-lens-and-spherical-primary-mirror combination that performs as one hyperbolic element. This ACF design produces a coma-free, flat field of view that rivals traditional RC telescopes at a fraction of the cost. The design even eliminates diffraction spikes and improves astigmatism, both of which are inherent in the traditional RC design. When reviewing Meade's LX400-ACF Advanced Coma Free, Sky and Telescope magazine said, " [It] does indeed perform like a [RC]. The difference between the off-axis images (compared to a Schmidt-Cassegrain) was dramatic to say the least."
Meade 14" f/10 LX200-ACF Advanced Coma-Free Telescope Features
- f/10 Advanced Coma-Free Optics: Building from a classic RC design, Meade has created a new design with the same coma-free pinpoint star images and flatter field that discerning astrophotographers and most professional observatories have come to expect from classic Ritchey-Chrétien optics. Meade's Advanced Coma-Free system also reduces the astigmatism and eliminates diffractions spikes found in classical RCs. The LX200-ACF is the perfect platform for the demanding researcher and imaging enthusiast.
- Meade Ultra-High Transmission Coatings (UHTC) increases total light transmission and image brightness by nearly 20% over Meade's standard coatings. Objects such as stars, galaxies and nebulae will appear significantly brighter.
- Primary Mirror Lock locks the mirror in place during long-exposure astrophotography.
- Oversize Primary Mirror diameters are greater than their listed aperture (e.g., the diameter of the 8" LX200-ACF is actually 8.25"). This additional 1/4" yields a wide, fully illuminated field-of-view.
- Smart Mount™ constantly refines pointing accuracy each time an object is centered and updated. Compatible with both equatorial and altazimuth mounts.
- Coma Killer - What is coma? It's not some sort of astronomical state of unconsciousness. It's an optical aberration. Precisely defined, coma is a distortion in which the image of a star cannot be focused to a point, but takes on the shape of a comet.
- Smart Drive provides permanent periodic error correction (PPEC) on both axes by learning and averaging error over the course of one or more training periods, thereby minimizing guiding corrections during long-exposure photographs. PPEC is available on both axes and functions in both polar and altazimuth modes.
- Sony®GPS Receiver Sensor automatically inputs precise time, date, and geographical location to help quickly and precisely align the telescope.
- AutoAlign - Telescopes with Meade's AutoAlign come pre-aligned. They are smart scopes that know the night sky right out of the box. AutoAlign picks two fail-proof alignment stars for you and places them right in your view-finder. Just center to fine tune your alignment and the wonders of the universe are at your fingertips.
- AutoStar® II controller features "Hot Keys" for quick access to a 145,000 celestial object database. AutoStar II can be updated with the latest software upgrades, guided tours and timely objects like comets.
Why choose the Meade LX200-ACF? Because coma isn't some sort of astronomical state of unconsciousness. It’s an optical aberration. Precisely defined, coma is a distortion in which the image of a star cannot be focused to a point, but takes on the shape of a comet. Worst yet, the majority of telescope optical systems, including the popular Schmidt-Cassegrain, have it to one degree or another. Once, you would have had to spend tens of thousands of dollars for an aplanatic optical system (a fancy term for coma-free). Now that Meade has made this Advanced Coma-Free optical system, this level of performance is affordable to the amateur.
The Meade LX200-ACF™ telescope brings advanced Coma Free optics within reach of aspiring astronomers everywhere. The Meade LX200-ACF combines a revolutionary new optical system with the field-proven mechanical features of the original Meade LX200 - the most widely used research-grade telescope in astronomy today. Dr. Clay Sherrod says: “I personally know over 100 amateur astronomers using LX200's out-of-the-box (new ones and old ones) to provide research data to professionals around the world. One friend of mine used his 14" LX200 to discover binary asteroids using light curves. It’s remarkable stuff that only the pros could do before.”
Meade guarantees their product to perform as well as promised and the First Light Program was made to prove this to the customers.
If your telescope's workmanship or materials fail within the first 30 days of ownership, Meade will replace it- no questions asked! See the Sales Info/ Services button to your left for more information.
Meade Product Number: 1410-60-03
- Additional Information
SKU ME-1410-60-03 Manufacturer Meade Telescope Series Meade LX200 Optical Design Modified Cassegrain Mount Type Alt-Azimuth - GoTo Warranty 1 Year Warranty Telescope Aperture 14" Telescope Focal Ratio f/10 Telescope Focal Length 3556mm Limiting Stellar Magnitude 15.2 Highest Useful Magnification 840x Optical Coatings Meade UHTC Dew Shield Included? No, Sold Separately Diagonal Included? Yes - 1.25" Star Diagonal Eyepiece(s) Included 26mm Super Plossl Optical Tube Weight 57.79 lbs. Total Telescope Weight 166 lbs. Length of Optical Tube 32" Optical Tube Outer Diameter 16" Tube Color or Finish Meade Crackle Blue Matte OTA Mount Type Dual Fork Arms Finder Included 8 x 50 Optical Finder CD ROMs Included AutoStar Suite Hand Controller Included? Yes Controller Type AutoStar II Objects in Database 145,000 Objects Smart Drive? Yes GPS Included? Yes Autoguider Port? Yes LNT Included? Yes Mount Weight N/A Tripod Type Included Extra Large Heavy Duty Counterweights Included N/A Power Adapter Included None - Requires C Batteries
- Included Items
- Meade 14" f/10 LX200-ACF Telescope
- Variable Height Giant Field Tripod
- Autostar II Control System
- Sony GPS
- 8x50mm Viewfinder
- Series 4000 Super Plössl 26mm Eyepiece
- Eyepiece Holder and Diagonal Prism (1.25")
- Instruction Manual
- Autostar Suite Astronomer's Edition Software
- Questions & Answers
- Support / Downloads
- Related Blog Posts