PlaneWave 24" CDK Optical Tube Assembly
Introducing the PlaneWave Instruments CDK24, a 24 inch (0.61 m) f/6.8 Corrected Dall-Kirkham Astrograph telescope. The CDK24 has a dual truss design, with 3 cooling fans for the back of the primary mirror and 8 fans for the front surface of the primary mirror. The CDK24 covers a 70 mm field of view without any field curvature, off-axis coma, or astigmatism. The instrument weight is 240 lbs (109 kg) and comes standard with the large capacity 3.5" Hedrick focuser.
The CDK (Corrected Dall-Kirkham) Optical Design is an innovative solution for unsurpassed astroimaging quality at an affordable price. The CDK telescope design provides excellent imaging with large format CCD cameras while remaining superb for visual use. The CDK design far exceeds the off-axis performance of most commercial telescope designs including the Ritchey-Chrétien design.
This no-compromise design is unique in making the optical alignment forgiving and collimation very easy. This guarantees the user the best possible performance from the telescope. The end result at the image plane of the CDK design is no off-axis coma, no off-axis astigmatism, perfectly flat field (no off-axis defocus). The CDK design will give you pinpoint stars from the center to the corner of the field of view.
Aside from this, there are also many other design features you'll appreciate...
Carbon Fiber Truss Design -Minimizes thermal expansion which causes focus shift with changes in temperature.
Lower Light Shroud -Protects the primary mirror from damage and stray light.
Dovetail Expansion Joint - Allows for the difference in thermal expansion between carbon fiber and aluminum. The expansion joint allows the aluminum dovetail expand and contract without stressing the carbon fiber lower truss.
3.5" Hedrick Focuser - Heavy duty no-slip focuser. The focus tube runs on 5 bearings and is driven by a leadscrew so there is no chance of slipping. It accepts an optional dial indicator and PlaneWave’s EFA Kit to control many electronic accessories. The draw tube travel is 1.3 inch.
Cooling Fans - The CDK24 has two different cooling schemes. First there are three fans behind the primary mirror that blow air out of the optical tube pulling air though the telescope and by the primary mirror. This helps the telescope to equilibrate quickly. The second scheme is that there are 8 fans placed around the face of the primary mirror to equilibrate the face of the mirror and to keep a laminar air flow above the telescope's light path. The two schemes can be controlled separately with the included switches on the optical tube or can be controlled by a computer if the optional Electronic Focus Accessory (EFA Kit) is purchased.
PlaneWave 24" CDK Optical Tube Assembly - Included Accessories
- 3.5" to 2" Adapter (200349) - Adapts the 3.5" inner diameter of the focuser to a standard 2" inner diameter. This adapter is necessary when setting the primary to secondary spacing. The 200399 Visual 3.5" to 2" adapter is an optional accessory that is designed to space a 2" diagonal for visual use.
- Ronchi Spacer (200354) - This spacer is used for setting the primary to secondary spacing. It has an 1-1/4 inner diameter and may be used with 1-1/4 oculars for collimation.
Ronchi Ocular This ocular is a Ronchi screen used for setting the primary to secondary spacing.
- Primary Mirror Cover -The Primary Mirror Cover protects the primary mirror.
- Printed Instructions - For Collimation and Spacing
- 12VDC Power Supply (18778) - Provides power for the fans (Not included for European Orders)
- Wrench Set (5812A35) - English Hex Wrenches (European Orders Only)
PlaneWave Instruments Product Number: CDK24
- Additional Information
SKU PI-CDK24 Manufacturer PlaneWave Telescope Series Planewave CDK Optical Design Corrected Dall-Kirkham Mount Type None - Optical Tube Only Warranty 2 Year Warranty
- Included Items
- PlaneWave 24" CDK Optical Tube Assembly
- 3.5" to 2" Adapter
- Ronchi Spacer
- Primary Mirror Cover
- Printed Instructions
- 12VDC Power Supply (Not included for European Orders)
- Wrench Set (European Orders Only)
- Questions & Answers
Product QuestionsNo questions yet. Be the first to ask the question!
- Support / Downloads
- Related Blog Posts