"Vixen has been making versions of the GP mount almost since the inception of the company. Originally the Polaris Mount, that evolved through refinements to the Great Polaris Mount and with further refinements now as the GPD2 Mount. As with all versions, the GPD2 incorporates the same care and precision that is evident in all Vixen products. This includes 100% inspection and testing on the drive gears of all mounts.You can rest assured that when you purchase a GPD2 mount it is going to work right out of the box. To give you added assurance when this mount is purchased through an authorized Vixen Optics dealer, your 5 year warranty is included." -- Mr. Star Guy
Vixen Great Polaris Deluxe (GPD2) Mount
This top-of-the-line mount can handle almost twice the weight of the GP2, while keeping the GP2's compact appearance. Performance exceeds that of the GP2, through the use of ridged material and higher precision machining. Periodic motion is abated by the use of durable steel on both axis and the precise R.A. worm gear -- machined to twice the accuracy found on the capable GP2 mount. Dual altitude adjustment knobs ease the way to pointing heavier telescopes toward the north celestial pole.
Bubble-level, fine adjustment knobs for altitude/azimuth , and two counterweights (3.7kg & 1.9kg) are standard. Optional motor-drives and controller make this your complete solution for long-exposure astrophotography.
Vixen Great Polaris Deluxe (GPD2) Mount Features
- R.A. Micro-Movement Axis: Whole Circle Movement 144-Tooth Worm Gears
- Declination Micro-Movement Axis: Whole Circle Movement 144-Tooth Worm Gears
- R.A. & Declination Circles: Supplied. R.A. Graduation is 10' increment, Declination Graduation is 2-degree increment
- Included Polar Axis Scope: For Northern & Southern Hemispheres. 6 X 20mm 8-degree detachable, with illuminator, 3' polar alignment accuracy possible
- Azimuth Fine Adjustment: Adjustment Knobs - Polar Axis Altitude Adjustment: 0-62 degree adjustment knobs
- Motor Drive: Optional - Bubble Level: Supplied
- Maximum Load Weight: Approximately 30 lbs
- Weight: 18.7 lbs. (8.5kg), not including counterweights.
- Manual Clutch: If you wish to have manual slow-motion control for your RA or DEC axis, then you will need to add at least one manual clutch to your order. Add two if you want dual-axis manual slow-motion control. Remember, the manual clutch works whether or not you have motors on your mount, so you can decide to have no manual slow motion control, manual slow motion control only, or manual slow motion control in conjunction with motors.
- MT-1 Motors: Add one motor if you want automatic tracking on your RA drive only. Add two motors if you want both your RA and Dec to track automatically. Remember, if you also want to have manual slow-motion control on either axis, you will need to order a manual clutch for either or both.
- Finally, if you want to control your motors (important for photography), you will need to add the SD-1 (single-axis) or DD-1 (dual-axis) drive corrector.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our Internet Sales Department by email or by phone at 1-800-483-6287. Thanks!
Vixen Product Number: 3991
- Additional Information
SKU VX-3991 Head Design Equatorial Tripod or Pier Included? No GPS Included? No Electronics Included None/ Manual Manufacturer Vixen Warranty 5 Year Warranty Hand Controller Included None - Optional Available # of Counterweights Included 2 Weight of Counterweights (1) 4.2 lb. (1) 8.15 lb. Mount Special Features Integrated Bubble Level Saddle Width V Series Weight Capacity 35 lbs. Leg Length 31.9" - 51.2" Accessory Tray Included? Yes Material Aluminum Power Supply Included None - Does Not Require Power Tracking Modes EQ North, EQ South Latitude Range 0º - 62º Weight of Tripod/Monopod Not Provided By Manufacturer Weight of Head 18.7 lbs.
Customer Reviews 1 item(s)
- PRECISION AND STRENGTH
I use A GPD2 permanently mounted (on a Keuffel and Esser rack and pinion elevating pier), with a 5 inch f/7.5 triplet refractor. I as yet have no desire for a GoTo capability, but do want stability and both RA and Dec motors. You can't beat Vixen for quality in any product (nope, I don't work for the company - I am a pathologist in Texas) and this mounting is exactly what I needed. Unlike the knock-offs, every part is well designed and machined - none of the cheap little screws and plastic components in other, maybe (a little) cheaper competitors. In this case I didn't need the tripod and OPT was selling the mounting without it - THIS IS A GOOD SOLID MOUNT FOR A MEDIUM-SIZED SCOPE (up to 35 lbs) and I have ZERO regrets for getting it.
1= Houston, We Have a Problem & 5= It's Out of This World
- Included Items
- Great Polaris Deluxe (GPD2) Mount
- Bubble Level
- Polar Axis Scope
- 1-3.7kg & 1-1.9kg Counterweight
- Instruction Manual
- Questions & Answers
Product QuestionsI am considering buying a Sky-Watcher Esprit 120. Will the Vixen GPDX handle the Esprit for visual use?
- Support / Downloads
- Related Blog Posts