Atik 383L+ CCD Camera - Monochrome Kodak KAF-8300 Sensor
The ATIK 383L+, the standard redefined in medium-resolution cooled astronomy cameras...
The new Atik 383L+ is an 8 Megapixel camera using the Kodak KAF-8300 CCD. Over the last few months a huge amount has been written about this CCD, justifying its place in astronomer’s hearts. We can sum it up succinctly by saying it’s a fabulous CCD with a huge number of good-sized pixels that is currently available at an irresistible price. This sensor should redefine mid-range astro-imaging, making multi-megapixel, cooled cameras much more accessible.
So what of ATIK’s implementation? In the past ATIK has prided itself on providing cameras with the very highest image quality but at reasonable cost- we see no reason to change. We have built on the success of our very highly regarded ATIK Platform 3 to support Kodak’s KAF-8300. This immediately offers a huge number of advantages including the very low read-noise circuits and the reliability from using this established design.
The camera can be used with either the EFW-U or our new EFW2 and Off Axis Guider (coming soon). For focal ratios of f/5 and above, standard 1.25 inch filters can be used without vignetting. Faster focal ratios will need flat-field correction or 36mm filters.
Atik 383L+ CCD Camera - Monochrome Kodak KAF-8300 Sensor Features
- 8.3 Million 5.4μm square pixels for high-resolution imaging
- Ultra low read-noise for great sensitivity
- Lightweight - no flexure of the telescope focuser tube
- Highly efficient setpoint cooling to 40 degrees max below ambient
- Great software for image acquisition and pre-processing
- Memory Buffer to reduce readout artifacts
- High-Quality mechanical shutter
- Externally accessible dessicant plugs
The highly acclaimed Capture software is included for camera control and data acquisition, and plug-ins are included to allow use with Astroart, CCDSoft, and MaxIm DL.
System requirements: Pentium II PC with 64MB RAM, Windows 98/XP/Vista, CD-ROM drive and USB 2.0 port.
About the Kodak KAF-8300 Sensor
The Kodak KAF-8300 Image Sensor is a 22.5mm diagonal (Four Thirds Format) high performance color or monochrome full frame CCD (charge-coupled device) image sensor designed for a wide range of image sensing applications including digital imaging.
Each pixel contains blooming protection by means of a lateral overflow drain thereby preventing image corruption during high light level conditions. For the color version, each of the 5.4μm square pixels are patterned with an RGB mosaic color filter with overlying microlenses for improved color response and reproduction. Several versions of monochrome devices are available with or without microlenses.
Kodak KAF-8300 Imaging Sensor Features
- High Resolution - High Dynamic Range - Low Noise Architecture
- Photography, Industrial Imaging and Medical Imaging Applications
- Quantum Efficiency, color: R(600nm), G(540nm), B(480nm) 33%, 40 %, 33% - Quantum Efficiency, monochrome: Microlens, clear glass (540nm) Microlens, no glass (540nm) Microlens, AR glass (540nm) No Microlens, clear glass (560nm): 54% 60% 56% 37%
- Dark Signal: < 200 e-/s - Dark Current Doubling Temperature: 5.8 °C - Linear Dynamic Range: 64.4 dB - Linearity Error at 12ºC +/- 10%
- Active Image Size: 17.96mm (H) x 13.52mm (V) 22.5mm (diagonal) - Aspect Ratio: 4:3
- Blooming Protection: (1ms integration time) 1000x saturation exposure - Maximum Data Rate: 28 MHz
Atik Product Number: A3-383L-M