The Atik 420 is the first camera in its class to offer high performance regulated cooling, low power consumption and narrow body all in one. It is particularly well matched with the 6 and 8 inch HyperStar systems, where the narrow body and low heat dissipation make a difference, or with short focal length refractors, providing a very fast, high definition wide field of view. And without the price tag.
Atik 420C Color CCD Camera - Sony ICX-274
The Atik 4-Series cameras are a development of the 3-Series cameras, featuring a narrower body. These are particularly suitable if the camera is to be placed in front of the telescope in HyperStar or Fastar systems, as well as on custom-designed systems that need a narrow-bodied CCD camera. The cameras feature setpoint cooling to make taking matching dark frames a snap, and simple 12V power requirement to facilitate field operation.
The Atik 420 is a perfect match for short focal lengths. HyperStar/Fastar systems and small refractors with focal reducers are among the instruments of choice for this camera. Featuring the narrowest body in its class, the Atik 450 is one of the lightest cameras as well. But don’t think there was a compromise regarding cooling performance or stability. The cooler module has been engineered for low power use, making your field sessions last longer. Also, the desiccant port is now easily accessible from the exterior.
The Atik 420 comes with Atik’s renowned Capture application which provides a simple and intuitive yet powerful way to acquire images. Tools include a focus assistance readout, image sequencer, guide camera control and integration with Atik filter wheels. Capture aims to take the stress out of imaging, making your time at the telescope more enjoyable. If you require compatibility with other software there are plugins for MaxIm DL, Astroart and CCDSoft, as well as a full ASCOM driver.
Included With The Atik 400 Series CCD Camera
Also included is Dawn, Atik’s new image-processing software. Like our cameras, it was designed from the ground up to be powerful yet easy to use. It allows a sequence of image-processing steps to be represented in the form of a pictorial workflow which can be created with a few mouse clicks and can then be executed very easily for repeatable and speedy results.
The ICX274AL is a diagonal 8.923mm (Type 1/1.8) interline CCD solid-state image sensor with a square pixel array and 2.01M effective pixels. Progressive scan allows all pixels' signals to be output independently within approximately 1/15 second, and output is also possible using various addition and pulse elimination methods.
About The Sony ICX274 Interline CCD Chip
This chip features an electronic shutter with variable charge-storage time which makes it possible to realize full-frame still images without a mechanical shutter. Further, high sensitivity and low dark current are achieved through the adoption of Super HAD CCD technology.
Applications: Still cameras which require high resolution, etc.)
The Sony ICX274 Interline Features
- High horizontal and vertical resolution with square pixels
- Supports the following modes: Progressive scan mode (with/without mechanical shutter) - 2/8-line readout mode - 2/4-line readout mode - 2-line addition mode - Center scan modes (1), (2) and (3) - AF modes (1) and (2)
- Horizontal drive frequency: 28.6364MHz (typ.), 36.0MHz (max.)
- Reset gate bias need no adjustment
- High sensitivity, low dark current
- Continuous variable-speed shutter function
- Excellent anti-blooming characteristics
- 20-pin high-precision plastic package
- Image size : Diagonal 8.923mm (Type 1/1.8)
- Total number of pixels : 1688 (H) × 1248 (V) approx. 2.11M pixels
- Number of effective pixels : 1628 (H) × 1236 (V) approx. 2.01M pixels
- Number of active pixels : 1620 (H) × 1220 (V) approx. 1.98M pixels
- Recommended number of recording pixels : 1600 (H) × 1200 (V) approx. 1.92M pixels
- Chip size : 8.50mm (H) × 6.80mm (V)
- Unit cell size : 4.40μm (H) × 4.40μm (V)
- Optical black : Horizontal (H) direction: Front 12 pixelμs, rear 48 pixels
- Number of dummy bits : Horizontal 28 - Vertical 1
- Substrate material : Silicon
- Additional Information
SKU A3-420C Manufacturer ATIK Color or B&W? Color Series Atik 400 Warranty 1 Year Warranty Filter Wheel No
Customer Reviews 2 item(s)
- Atik 420C
- I've only used it a few times but have been very satisfied with its performance. While it does have a small sensor, it does appear to work well with short focal length refractors (i.e 80mm f6). Its sensitivity is on par with a DSLR however its noise is much less.
- Slightly Disappointed
I had high hopes for the Atik 420 one-shot color camera. After several months, I am a little underwhelmed. The included operating software has a (in my opinion) major omission: There is no indication of exposure progress. Once an exposure has started, I have to look at my computer clock to see if the time has run out, assuming I remember to look at the clock for the exposure start time. The Artemis software is of no help. Even an ancient version of Astro-Art is better than that!
On to the camera... The power cord plug is slightly loose and can fall out inconveniently, so, I have to listen for the camera cooling fan. Also, the 4 megapixel sensor has well over a hundred hot pixels!!! Over a hundred!!!!!!! Over the past 10 years I have owned several DSLR cameras, a total of about 51 megapixels worth of sensors, with a grand total of ONE, just ONE, hot pixel. And the Atik sensor has over a hundred?!?!?! OK, a median filter will remove the hot pixels, but the number of them is disturbing.
One good feature is the binning that I use while running a short exposure loop for object acquisition and framing. The binning greatly enhances sensitivity.
Yes, the camera otherwise works as advertised, so I hope I can make good use of it, inconveniences aside, when/if our skies cooperate.
1= Houston, We Have a Problem & 5= It's Out of This World
- Included Items
- Atik 420C Color CCD Camera - Sony ICX-274
- 1.25'' adapter
- 3-metre USB cable
- 1.8-metre battery power connector (car lighter plug)
- CD-ROM with drivers, software and user's manual (PDF)
- Quickstart guide (paper)
- Capture software is included for camera control and data acquisition, and plug-ins are included to allow use with Astroart and Maxim DL
- Questions & Answers
Product QuestionsI need to know if this camera software is compatible with MacIntosh computers or OS X and later meaning OS Maverick before I purchase...Question by: Bob S on Jan 11, 2015 8:47:25 AM
- Support / Downloads