Atik 11000C Large Format CCD Camera - Kodak KAI-11002 Color Sensor
The ATIK 11000 is a very high resolution, Large-Format cooled CCD camera for astronomy. This is the top-of-the-range camera available from ATIK and is the result of extensive design and development. It incorporates a huge 35mm x 24mm sensor. This is the camera for the uncompromising user looking to create stunning high-resolution images.
The ATIK 11000 uses the Kodak KAI-11002 CCD and comes in Monochrome or One-Shot-Color versions. It is difficult to get an impression of just how big the sensor is without seeing it first hand, but the graphic at right is intended to give some idea. The resulting images can be amazingly detailed, and can be printed out at A3 size or beyond or simply enjoyed on a computer monitor.
While the other cameras in the ATIK range use Sony sensors, the Large-Format cameras incorporate Kodak devices. These have gained a great reputation in astrophotography and offer qualities not available in the Sony CCDs. However, optimum performance from the Kodak chips is only obtained with the use of highly sophisticated control electronics and advanced cooling systems, and this is where ATIK's expertise in design and build comes to the forefront.
The Kodak sensors require dark frames to be used for calibration, and these must be taken at the same temperature as the primary image. The ATIK 11000 achieves this through the provision of full, set-point, temperature regulation using a two-stage Peltier element and fan. This can provide cooling to 38 degrees below ambient and will be suitable for the majority of conditions. For more demanding use, water can be pumped though the camera's internal heat exchanger. When water cooling is employed, the maximum amount of cooling depends on the water temperature, with approximately 45 degrees of cooling being available using water from a typical cold tap. Such efficient cooling cuts thermal noise to an absolute minimum and reduces the prevalence of hot pixels, but it raises the risk of condensation forming in or on the camera. A high-efficiency desiccant is used to dry the air inside the sensor chamber, preventing internal condensation, while condensation on the outside of the camera is avoided with the use of heater elements which gently warm the window. The power supplied to this heater is controllable through software so that it can be adapted to the environmental conditions.
The ATIK Large-Format cameras have been designed and built to fulfil the needs of the most demanding users, while offering an unparalleled simplicity of use. The cameras have only two sockets - a 2.1mm socket for the 12V power supply and a USB2 port for communicating with the computer - and they are compatible with our highly acclaimed Capture software as well as Astroart, CCDSoft, and MaximDL.
As standard the ATIK 11000 is fitted with a KAI-11002 class II sensor, which allows for a small number of column defects. Alternatively a class I sensor with no column defects can be specified. Does the CCD grade matter? We feel the price premium placed on the class I sensor is not justified when the camera is to be used for astro-imaging. Briefly, this is because Kodak's grading scheme uses a test where the CCD is not cooled, exposures are fractions of a second and the sensor is read out several times a second. In astro-imaging, conditions for the sensors are very different since the sensor is cooled, exposures are typically many tens of seconds, and readout takes several seconds. Also it is expected that the images will be corrected with a dark frame. The result is that the grading tests do not reflect performance in astro-imaging in a useful way.
Atik 11000C Large Format CCD Camera - Kodak KAI-11002 Color Sensor Features
- Camera body with 2” adapter
- 3 meter USB cable
- 1.8 meter battery power connector (with car lighter plug)
- Universal (110-230V) power adapter is included
- CD-ROM with drivers, software and user manual (PDF)
- Quick start guide (printed)
About The Kodak Interline KAI-11002 Sensor...
The Kodak KAI-11002 Image Sensor is a high-performance 11-million pixel sensor designed for professional digital still camera applications. The 9.0 μm square pixels with microlenses provide high sensitivity and the large full well capacity results in high dynamic range.
The two high-speed outputs and binning capabilities allow for 1-3 frames per second (fps) video rate for the progressively scanned images. The vertical overflow drain structure provides antiblooming protection and enables electronic shuttering for precise exposure control. Other features include low dark current, negligible lag and low smear.
Kodak Interline KAI-11002 Sensor Features
- Total Number of Pixels: 4072 (H) x 2720 (V) = 11.1M
- Number of Effective Pixels: 4032 (H) x 2688 (V) = 10.8M
- Number of Active Pixels: 4008 (H) x 2672 (V) = 10.7M
- Number of Outputs: 1 or 2 - Dynamic Range: 66 dB
- Pixel Size: 9.0 μm (H) x 9.0 μm (V)
- Imager Size: 43.3mm (diagonal)
- Chip Size: 37.25mm (H) x 25.70mm (V)
- Aspect Ratio: 3:2 - Saturation Signal: 60,000 electrons
- Quantum Efficiency (KAI-11002-ABA) - Maximum Data Rate: 28 MHz
- Mono: 50% - Color (RGB): 34%, 37%, 42%
- Output Sensitivity - 13 μV/e- Total Noise: 30 electrons
- Dark Current: < 50 mV/s Dark Current Doubling Temperature: 7º C
- Charge Transfer Efficiency: > 0.99999 - Blooming Suppression: > 1000X
Smear: < -80 dB Image Lag: < 10 electrons
- Package: 40-pin, CerDIP, 0.070” pin spacing - Cover Glass: AR Coated
- High resolution - High sensitivity - High dynamic range
- Low noise architecture - High frame rate
- Binning capability for higher frame rate - Electronic shutter
- Industrial Imaging and Medical Imaging Applications
Atik Product Number: A3-11000C