Bucks Gears for 14" Meade Telescopes
Replace the molded plastic gears in your Meade 14" drive train with precision machined high strength stainless steel gears. Install a simple but positive worm engagement system. This kit not only upgrades and adjusts the scope's gears; it addresses and tunes the full mechanical drive system for both axes.
Installation of this kit will:
- 1) Improve the drive precision in both RA and DEC drives while reducing or eliminating transfer gear backlash. Our Quality 10 precision cut gears hold dimensional tolerances of ±.0005", while the molded Nylon gears they replace are no better than Quality 8 with a tolerance of ±.002"
- 2) Reduce wear on and prevent damage to the scope's main worm gears through more positive worm to worm gear engagement. As a by-product of this fix the kit will reduce gear drive "chatter" - a noise that indicates that the worm is pushing away from the worm gear.
- 3) Eliminate the tendency of the scope's transfer teeth to break or strip off of the plastic gears when slewing the telescope at high speed, in cold temperatures, or when slewing a scope that is heavily loaded with accessories or is out of balance.
- 4) Eliminate the tendency of the motor transfer gears to loosen on their axle, due to use of a larger securing bolt capable of much higher locking torque.
The kit consists of very detailed step-by-step photo illustrated instructions for upgrading the declination and azimuth drives, 2 pairs of precision stainless steel gears, special gear grease, wire wraps, special premium quality adhesive, replacement worm indexing springs, worm standoff pins and a set of top quality hex wrenches. To correct those scopes where the gears do not mesh closely but are only touching tooth tip to tooth tip in a cogging kind of action, the kit also includes a drill bit.
The original Buck's Gears were developed by Buck Harley. Many LX200GPS users know Buck from Yahoo's LX200GPS group. Buck did the development groundwork strictly on his own for the good of the astronomical community. He offered his gear design to PE Corp. with no compensation to himself simply because of our distribution ability and our experience with this type of a kit.
Although the instructions provided are crystal clear, the installation of this kit is more complex than that of the EZ Focus kit or the EZ Clutch kit. If you had trouble with either of our other kits, or if you consider yourself to be a klutz, please either do not buy this kit or arrange for someone else to perform the installation for you.
Note: These gears will fit the Meade 14" LX200GPS, LX200R, or RCX400 telescopes. Also note that these gears do not fit the 14" Meade LX200 Classic scopes. The Classic scopes have a completely different drive train and there is no plan to develop a gear set for them
Peterson Engineering Product Number: BUCKS14
- Additional Information
SKU PG-BUCKS14 Manufacturer Peterson Warranty Not Supplied By Manufacturer
- Included Items
- Bucks Gears for 14" Meade Telescopes
- 2 - Precision Stainless Steel Gears
- Special Gear Grease
- Wire Wraps
- Worm Indexing Springs
- Worm Standoff Pins
- Hex Wrenches
- Drill Bit
- Detailed Instructions
- Questions & Answers
- Support / Downloads