Starlight Instruments 2" Feather Touch Rotatable Rack & Pinion Dual-Speed Focuser w/ 1.5 Draw Tube Travel
Feather Touch 2.0" diameter Rack & Pinion Dual-Speed, 1.5" Draw Tube Travel, Brake, and Compression Ring. The focuser utilizes the pinion assembly of Starlight Instruments' 3.0" focuser for greater lifting capacity. For ease of rotatability the tube adapters will use 3 thumb screws instead of set screws. The MKIT30 and the MKIT30-WL will be the digital kit for this focuser.
Starlight Instruments Feather Touch Focuser Standard Features...
- Ultra-smooth coarse/fine focus knobs (10:1 Ratio)
- Durable hardened stainless steel, steel, and aluminum construction
- Standard Draw Tube with nylon-tipped stainless steel set screws (gentle on eyepieces)
- 52mm threaded Draw Tube. This will accommodate permanent or semi-permanent filters if desired, such as Light Pollution Filters, clear filters for dust protection, etc. Step down adapters that reduce the 52mm thread to 48mm threads are available.
- Glare resistant black internal baffling
- Anodized aluminum fine focus knob
- Ultra-Low backlash system for accurate control
- Sleek aesthetic design
About the Feather Touch Compression Ring...
The brass Compression Ring acts as a buffer between the thumb screws and your eyepieces so that it will not mar them. The Compression Ring also has improved holding power over the nylon tipped screws. There are two thumb screws on draw tubes with the Compression Ring. The right screw is used for 2" eyepieces and the left screw is used for 1.25" eyepieces. The left thumb screw is nylon-tipped and can also be used in addition to the right thumb screw. When used with the 1.25" - 2" zero length adapter, the left thumb screw is used to hold the 1.25" eyepiece in place.
About the Internal Brake System...
The brake option was designed to allow users of refractor type applications the ability to gradually increase the friction between the pinion and the drawtube. In the non-brake version of the Feather Touch Focuser a thumb screw is used to lock the pinion shaft and to also increase the amount of drag on the drawtube. This system, however, has very little range when trying to control the drag. The brake consists of an internal leveraged leaf spring that is tightened with a thumbscrew, thereby allowing a much greater control of the drag. By adjusting the thumb screw on the pinion block this lever presses a friction pad onto the pinion, thereby increasing the torque that is needed to turn the focus knobs. If the thumb screw is turned all the way in, the pinion shaft and the draw tube will be locked. Opposite this thumb screw is a small set screw that is factory set and should not be adjusted by the customer.
Starlight Instruments Product Number: FTF2015BCR-RP