Starlight Xpress USB Adaptive Optics System
for QSI WSG Cameras
This is an updated and improved version of the Starlight Xpress Adaptive Optics System. It adds an internal USB to serial converter, so that a direct USB connection may be used, and the stepper motor drivers have increased torque capability to ensure optimum performance under all conditions. This model, which is packaged for QSI cameras, does not come with an OAG. If you want an OAG to be included, you can buy it separately or buy the alternate version of the Starlight Xpress USB Adaptive Optics.
Major Features of the SX Adaptive Optics System
- Image tracking and stabilization using a high speed tip-tilt optical window
- Fast tracking speed of 5mS per increment.
- Overcomes rapid gear errors to stabilize even difficult mounts.
- Mount control output for correcting large drive errors while maintaining AO stabilization.
- Image shift factor independent of optical system or camera back-focus spacing.
- STAR2000 guiding compatible.
- May be used to image stabilize many other makes and types of camera, given suitable control software.
- Clear aperture of 60mm for up to 35mm full-frame size chips.
- Short optical length - 74mm with OAG (not included in this package), 44mm without (add 6mm if front end adaptor is used).
- Very low light loss (~2%) from the multicoated optics.
- Filter threads for adding 48mm narrow band. IR blocking or pollution rejection filters without affecting the guide camera sensitivity.
- USB controlled
- Low power consumption. Less than 600 mA at 12v DC when moving - 50mA quiescent current.
- Compact and lightweight - only 132mm in diameter x 32mm long - less than 700 grams load on the ‘scope.
The Starlight Xpress USB Adaptive Optics device provides an effective method of removing the effects of rapid guiding errors from CCD images. All but the most expensive telescope mounts suffer from rapid gear errors during guiding and such errors are very difficult to correct when the only control method available is to send speed corrections to the drive motors. A device that can adjust the image position by rapidly deviating the optical path, can correct for such errors very quickly and without the associated settling time issues.
A common method of shifting an image for AO purposes is to use a ‘tip-tilt’ mirror to re-direct the beam through a variable angle. This works well, but deviates the optical path through 90 degrees and takes up a considerable back focal distance. Its motion sensitivity is also affected by the distance between the mirror and the CCD. A ‘straight though’ device is more convenient and optically shorter, so the original Starlight Xpress AO unit was designed with this in mind back in 2004.
A secondary advantage of the straight through design is that it is possible to construct a system that has a well defined optical deviation for a defined input signal. This means that the ‘sensitivity’ of the system in pixels shift per input step is essentially constant and is independent of the optical system used and the distance between the CCD and AO.
The AO element is a multi-coated AR bloomed plane-parallel optical window with a thickness of 13mm and a diameter of 60mm. This element can be tilted by up to approximately +/- 3 degrees.
Converging light from the telescope objective lens or mirror passes through the window on its way to the CCD chip, but is essentially unaffected when the window is perpendicular to the beam. However, when the window is tilted, the converging beam is displaced by an amount which can be defined as approximately 0.075mm per 1 degree of tilt. The maximum image deviation is therefore approximately +/- 0.15mm in both the X and Y planes. This corresponds to about +/- 23 pixels on the CCD of an SX-825 camera.
- Additional Information
SKU SX-SXV-AOQSIUSB Manufacturer Starlight Xpress
- Included Items
- Starlight Xpress Adaptive Optics Module
- AC Adapter
- USB cable
- Guider Cable
- T-Thread Female Adapter - (Telescope Side)
- SCT-Thread Female Adapter - (Telescope Side)
- T-Thread Male Adapter - (Camera Side)
- M72-Thread Male Adapter - (Camera Side)
- CD-ROM - Manual
- Questions & Answers
Product QuestionsQuestion by: Mario Motta on Jul 18, 2016 11:18:00 AM
- Support / Downloads