Optically fast refractor telescopes used for astrophotography are often plagued by significant field curvature, which is especially noticeable when using CCD imagers with APS-C sized and larger sensors, or DSLR cameras. Orion's handy field flattener resolves the issue by providing excellent field correction while preserving the focal length attributes of your telescope. Designed for use with refractors with focal lengths of 400mm to 650mm and focal ratios of f/5 to f/7.5, the Orion Field Flattener for Short Refractors lets you enjoy the full imaging potential of your fast refractor telescope.
Orion Field Flattener for Short Refractors
Fully multi-coated, 38mm clear aperture optics and a glare-reducing threaded interior ensure maximum image contrast. Backfocus of 55mm is required, we recommend using the Orion T-thread Spacer Ring Kit (sold separately) to achieve proper distance for use with CCD imagers. Use with a DSLR requires a T-ring for the camera (T-ring sold separately). Weighs 7.5 oz.
Orion Field Flattener for Short Refractors Features
- Eliminate field curvature in short, optically fast refractor telescopes with this handy 38mm clear-aperture, fully multi-coated field flattener
- Designed for use with 400mm to 650mm focal length refractors with f/5 to f/7.5 focal ratios
- Optimizes your fast refractor telescope for astrophotography
- Preserves focal length attributes of the attached refractor telescope while flattening the field of view
- Requires 55mm of refractor telescope backfocus, weighs 7.5 oz.
- Additional Information
SKU OR-8893 Manufacturer Orion Barrel Size 2" Warranty Orion Limited Warranty
Customer Reviews 1 item(s)
- Perfect Addition
First off, it works great! I photograph through an Orion ED80mmCFT with my DSLR- Pentax K5iiS (APS-C sensor, 23.7 x 15.7 mm). I was experiencing elongated stars near the edges of my photos and was forced to crop them. After my very first shot , I zoomed into the corner and saw excellent pinpoint stars. I am very satisfied with this flattener.
1= Houston, We Have a Problem & 5= It's Out of This World
- Included Items
- Orion Field Flattener for Short Refractors
- One Year Limited Warranty
- Questions & Answers
Product QuestionsQuestion by: carlos on Jun 10, 2015 1:28:00 PMUnfortunately not. The Equinox 66 has a 1.6" focuser with an SCT thread on the back, while this reducer has a 2" nosepiece that when unscrewed has an M48 thread. If you can find a very short SCT female to M48 male adapter it might reach focus, but adding a 2" adapter to the focuser pushes the flattener too far back for any camera to focus.Answer by: Chris Hendren on Jun 11, 2015 12:03:00 PM
- Support / Downloads
- Related Blog Posts