A Revolution in Affordable H-Alpha Observing
The QUARK from DayStar filters marries a high-tech telecentric 4.2x Barlow lens with an exceptionally high quality DayStar h-alpha filter. Combining the Barlow, filter, adapters and snouts into one highly compact and innovative design. This all-in-one design is simply dropped into a diagonal, add an eyepiece and you're ready to observe! Compatible with refractors with focal ratios between f/4 and f/8 and best used with eyepieces with focal lengths between 25mm and 40mm, the QUARK will allow most refractor owners to view the sun without any additional equipment purchases.
Because the exact filter bandpass will vary depending on the refractor it is paired with, the QUARK has been configured into two models. By offering the QUARK at a very reasonable price, Daystar has made your solar observing goals obtainable! By choosing the prominence model, the QUARK will highlight solar prominences specifically. If it's surface detail you're after, the Chromosphere model is the one for you. Want it all? Get both!
- Integrated, fully baffled 2 element telecentric 4.2X barlow optimized for 656nm
- Integrated 12mm blocking filter
- 21mm clear filter aperture
- Best performance with f/4 - f/8 refractors
- Standard 1.25 eyepiece drawtube output with optional 2" and SCT accessories available.
- Brass compression ring to protect eyepiece.
- Uses USB power, 5v 1.5amp
- Includes 90-240VAC wall adapter with international plug adapters.
- Tuning knob allows wing shifting +/- 0.5Å with detents at every 0.1Å
- LED indicator for power, warming, ready, fault.
- Optional 8-hour battery pack available.
- Full disk viewing possible on refractors up to ~450mm focal length refractors
- No aperture limitations. May be used on larger refractors for higher magnification views
- Ships in convenient Twist-Case for safe, dust-free storage.
- Not suited for off-axis application
- 5 year warranty.
- Additional Information
SKU DF-QUARK-P Aperture 21mm Emission Line H-Alpha Bandwidth Variable Blocking Filter Included B1200 Blocking Filter Barrel Size 2" Manufacturer DayStar Warranty 5 Year Warranty Wavelength Variable Tuner Included? Yes
- Included Items
- Daystar QUARK Prominence Model H-alpha Eyepiece
- 90-240VAC Power Adapter with International Plug Adapters
- Protective Twist Case
- Questions & Answers
Product QuestionsI'm still skeptical. I'm assuming that folks use this with no filter at the start with no issue but I just can't get my head around it. Your dashboard gets hot in the sun and the windshield isn't always focusing the rays.Question by: Nebulachaser on Oct 20, 2014 5:36:12 PMAccording to Daystar, this is safe to use on refracting scopes up to 80mm without an energy rejection filter on the front. Any refractors larger than 80mm need either an ERF or an 80mm max diameter aperture stop (a lens cap with an 80mm hole in the center) to be safe. Daystar does make ERF filters from 35mm to 150mm.Answer by: Chris (Admin) on Oct 21, 2014 9:29:22 AMBy putting the H-Alpha filter on the backend behind the main optics and behind a diagonal, don't you risk damage to the optics or the diagonal?Question by: Starman on May 1, 2014 10:36:31 AMOnly in reflectors or refractor scopes faster than f/4. The light is not focused where it enters the scope and hits the diagonal - which prevents damage - and the Quark reduces the intensity and filters for H-Alpha before it reaches the eyepiece.Answer by: Chris (Admin) on May 2, 2014 5:10:57 AMWould this enhance my solar experience with my Lunt LS60 Tha? Will it work even though my scope can see prominences, flares etc?Question by: Bob on Nov 26, 2016 6:43:00 PMThe quark is intended to be used as it's own H-alpha solar filter on a refractor, not as a double stacking filter on another solar scope. You may see some limited improvement, but probably not any more from using the chromosphere model of the quark by itself.Answer by: Chris Hendren on Nov 29, 2016 4:30:00 PM
- Support / Downloads