Celestron CGX 800 EdgeHD Aplanatic Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope
Introducing the EdgeHD Telescope Series, Celestron’s dependable flagship telescope line- fused to their CGX Mount, the newest and greatest in German Equatorial mounts. With a proven telescope to mount atop it, the CGX is sure to provide you with some of the finest astronomical experiences you've had to date!
The EdgeHD is by now a well proven and tested brand, with it's quality well assured by thousands of satisfied customers.. and Celestron has chosen to pair it with their amazing new CGX mount! This mount is years in the making, and is the by-product of years of thought and planning on how to redesign the very concept of a German Equatorial mount from the ground up and the top down!
The EdgeHD is Celestron’s latest innovation that will surely be the system of choice for the serious astro-imagers. The new Edge High Definition telescope series features an Aplanatic Schmidt optical system that produces pinpoint star images all the way to the edge of the field. Some optical systems currently on the market may produce coma free images. But there is a difference.... the optical difference. Not only is the Celestron Edge coma free, but it also has a built in field flattener to ensure sharp focus all the way to the edge of the field, producing true Astrograph quality images. This results in pinpoint, High Definition star images throughout your astro photograph.
These superior features combined with Celestron's recently introduced and cutting edge CGX mounts make the new Celestron EdgeHD series the new gold standard in Astro Imaging. The Edge HD is an aplanatic Schmidt telescope designed to produce aberration-free images across a wide visual and photographic field of view. The optical system was designed to reduce more than just off-axis star coma, but also to give an astrograph quality flat focal plane all the way to the edge of the field of view. Once again, Celestron sets the benchmark!
Many optical designs that advertise themselves as “astrograph” quality actually only produce pinpoint stars across a curved focal plane. While this may be acceptable for visual observing, stars will appear out of focus at the edge when used with a flat chip sensor of a digital camera. Edge HD optics produce a focal plane more than three-times flatter than a standard Schmidt Cassegrain telescope and dramatically flatter than other competing coma-free designs. This guarantees you visibly sharp stars across some of the largest CCD chips available today.
Now let's talk about Celestron quality...
The Celestron CGX Mount is an innovative new design that improves on it's predesscors in every imaginable way.
Ergonomic Design - The Celestrom CGX mount is incredibly ergonomic, from the convenient carrying handles to the easy to use and turn knobs.
Splendid Engineering- This mount boasts drastically reduced backlash and improved stability. Incredibly rigid, this mount also boasts an improved motor system that greatly boosts the provided torque. It's simply superior to it's predecessors in every way.
Innovation - The Celestron CGX series boasts internal cabling that utterly bypasses the issue of cable twisting or tangling by letting you route all your own power supply and accessory cables into a convenient port on a part of the mount that moves- from which they enter into the mount, utterly contained, and reach everywhere they need to on the inside without any tangling issues. Neat and clean!
Performance - For objects near the Meridian (imaginary line passing from North to South), the Celestron CGX mount will track a full 20 degrees past the Meridian for uninterrupted imaging through the most ideal part of the sky. The CGX mount has a robust database with over 40,000 objects, utilizing a top quality Nexstar hand controller.
Celestron's bleeding edge new CGX mount is the current pinnacle of German Equatorial Mount Engineering. Boasting a wide range of new and improved features, this mount is simply top quality. It's just plain better than it's competition and predecessors.
Superior mount performance combined with superior edge performance not only creates rounder, more pleasing stars but actually improves the resolution and limiting magnitude when compared to telescopes of equal aperture. When it comes to the Celestron HD series coupled with Celestron’s StarBright XLT coating group on every surface, EdgeHD optics gives you maximum light throughput across the widest visual and photographic spectrum... It's a vision you'll never forget.
Bobs Knobs- Limited Time Offer!
Celestron CGX 800 EdgeHD Aplanatic Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope Features
- Mirror Support Knobs – Flexible tension clutches hold the mirror in place and reduce image shift when rotating the tube around the mount.
- Tube Vents – Cooling vents located on the rear cell allow hot air to be released from behind the primary mirror.
- Fastar Versatility – All EdgeHD optical tubes are Fastar compatible for imaging down to f/2 with optional accessories.
- Brighter Star Images - Light becomes more concentrated when focused precisely. This maximizes image brightness.
- CGX Mount Features - Increased payload capacity, all star polar alignment, ergonomic design, permanent periodic error correction, meridian tracking, robust data and internal RA and DEC motor wiring.
- 40,000 object database with 400 user-definable objects and expanded information on over 200 objects. Custom database lists of all the most famous deep-sky objects by name and catalog number; the most beautiful double, triple and quadruple stars; variable star; solar systems; objects and asterisms.
- Double line, 16-character Liquid Crystal Display Hand Control with backlit LED buttons for easy operation of goto features RS-232 communication port on hand control to control the telescope via a personal computer. Flash upgradeable hand control software and motor control units for downloading product updates over the Internet.
- Internal Cable wiring for trouble-free setup and transportation. Designated six-pin RJ-12 modular jack, ST-4 compatible guide port. Autoguide port and auxiliary ports located on the electronic pier for long exposure astrophotography.
- Included Accessories: 23mm Axiom, 9X50 Finderscope and 1.25" Star Diagonal.
Celestron Product Number: 12055
- Additional Information
SKU CE-12055 UPC Code 050234120555 Manufacturer Celestron Telescope Series Celestron CGX Optical Design Corrected Schmidt-Cassegrain Mount Type Equatorial - GoTo Warranty 2 Year Warranty Telescope Aperture 8" Telescope Focal Ratio f/10 Telescope Focal Length 2032mm Limiting Stellar Magnitude 14.0 Highest Useful Magnification 480x Optical Coatings Celestron XLT Tube Color or Finish Celestron Oyster Pearl Optical Tube Outer Diameter Not provided by manufacturer Length of Optical Tube 17" Optical Tube Weight 14 lbs. Mount Weight 44 lbs Dew Shield Included? No, Sold Separately Diagonal Included? Yes - 1.25" Star Diagonal Finder Included 9 x 50 Optical Finder Eyepiece(s) Included 40mm Hand Controller Included? Yes Power Adapter Included DC Cigarette Lighter Adapter CD ROMs Included NexRemote Counterweights Included (1) 17 lbs. Alignment Procedure 1-Star Alignment, 2-Star Alignment, Last Alignment Used, Quick Align, Solar System Align Tracking Modes Lunar, Sidereal, Solar, EQ North, EQ South Objects in Database 40,000 objects OTA Mount Type N/A Tripod Type Included Adjustable with Steel Legs Total Telescope Weight 88 lbs.
- Included Items
- Celestron CGX 800 EdgeHD Aplanatic SCT Telescope
- 40mm Omni Plossl
- 9X50 Finderscope
- 1.25" Star Diagonal
- CGX Mount
- Adjustable, Stainless Steel Tripod
- Accessory Tray
- Car Battery Adapter
- NexRemote Controller
- RS-232 Communication Port
- NexStar Computer Control
- Permanent Programmable Periodic Error Correction (PPEC)
- Servo Motors
- Visual Back
- Questions & Answers
Product QuestionsNo questions yet. Be the first to ask the question!
- Support / Downloads
- Related Blog Posts