Eyepiece astronomy filters are an invaluable aid in lunar and planetary observing. They reduce glare and light scattering, increase contrast through selective filtration, increase definition and resolution, reduce irradiation and lessen eye fatigue. Celestron's telescope and astronomy filters are made of high quality, solid plane parallel glass with excellent homogeneity. They're anti-reflection coated to prevent glaring and ghosting. All eyepiece filters are threaded to fit Celestron's, and most other manufacturer's, 1¼" eyepieces, and offer a full 26mm clear aperture.
Celestron Eyepiece Color Filter Set #1
Celestron color telescope filters are mounted in black anodized aluminum cells with the Kodak Wratten Series Number individually engraved, and come available in 4 assorted kits packed in plastic cases. The cells of each astronomy filter are double-threaded, so they can be stacked (piggybacked) in various combinations. This allows you to create different color combinations and transmission characteristics, or to have the same color characteristic, but with a lower transmission. When stacking color filters, the effective transmission of the combination you create is equal to the product of the spectral transmission of each of the filters used.
The effectiveness of the filters depends on several factors, including: the aperture and focal length of the telescope, the magnification being used, and seeing conditions. Let's take a look at what the filters do...
#21 46% Transmission Orange
Celestron #1 Color Telescope Eyepiece Filter Set Features
- Moon: Greatly enhances lunar features.
- Jupiter: Improves appearance and detail revealed in structure of Jovian belts. Enhances viewing of festoons and polar regions.
- Mars: Reduces light from the blue and green areas which darken the maria, oases and canal markings, while lightening the orange-hued desert regions. Also sharpens the boundaries of yellow dust clouds.
- Mercury: Reduces the brightness of blue sky during daylight observing to reveal surface features.
- Saturn: Improves structure of the Saturnian bands and highlights blue polar regions.
- Venus: Use during daylight observing to reduce brightness of blue sky.
- Comets: Enhances definition of comet dust tails and heads in larger telescopes (10" and greater aperture).
- Moon: Enhances lunar features.
- Jupiter: Penetrate and darken atmospheric currents containing low-hue blue tones. Enhance orange and red features of the belts and zones. Useful for studies of the polar regions.
- Mars: Reduce light from blue and green areas which darken the maria, oases, and canal markings while lightening the orang-hued desert regions. Also sharpens the boundaries of yellow dust clouds.
- Neptune and Uranus: Improve detail in larger telescopes (10" & larger).
- Saturn: Penetrate and darken atmospheric currents containing low-hue blue tones. Enhances orange and red features of the belts and zones.
- Venus: Reveal low-contrast surface features.
- Comets: Enhances definition of comet dust tails.
- Moon: Enhances lunar detail.
- Jupiter: Enhances the boundaries between the reddish belts and adjacent bright zones. Useful for viewing the Great Red Spot.
- Mars: Very useful during the violet clearing. Helpful in studying surface features and polar caps.
- Saturn: Enhance low-contrast features between the belts and zones.
- Venus: Useful for increased contrast of dark shadings in upper Venusian clouds.
- Comets: Enhances definition of comet gas tails.
- Mercury: Improves observation of dusky surface markings at twilight, when the planet is near the horizon.
- Moon & Planets: Invaluable in reducing irradiation and glare without changing the color of the object. Most popular for the moon, but also great for Venus and other bright planets.
- Binary Stars: Helpful in splitting binary stars because it reduces glare around the brighter star of the binary pair.
- Additional Information
SKU CE-94119-10 UPC Code 050234119108 Manufacturer Celestron Type of Filter Color, Lunar or Polarizing Filter Usage Visual Single or Set? Filter Set Filter Size 1.25" Filter Shape Round Filter Mounted? Mounted Warranty 2 Year Warranty Filter Kit Contents 15 Deep Yellow, 21 Orange, 80A Light Blue, Neutral Density (ND)
- Included Items
- #21 Orange
- #80A Light Blue
- #15 Deep Yellow
- ND Filter
- Plastic Storage Case
- Questions & Answers
Product QuestionsNo questions yet. Be the first to ask the question!
- Support / Downloads
- Related Blog Posts