Losmandy G11 w/Gemini Goto w/o Tripod
If you're tired of messing around with equatorial mounts that just can't handle your observing and imaging requirements, the Losmandy G-11 is definitely worth a look. This heavy-duty mount is machined of aluminum and stainless steel, employs high precision gears and sports all stainless steel hardware. The Losmandy G-11 will handle a load capacity of 60 pounds, and this model comes with the Losmandy Gemini 2 GoTo System, complete with servo motors that deliver slewing rates of up to 6 degrees per second and an online database of over 40,000 objects. Below you'll find specifications on the G-11 mount itself, and below that, a write up on the Gemini GoTo System.
Losmandy G-11 Equatorial Mount Specifications...
- All machined aluminum and stainless steel, black anodized.
- All stainless steel hardware.
- One 3.750” diameter needle thrust bearing - One 2.000” diameter needle thrust bearing - Two 1.500” diameter needle bearings.
- 5.625” diameter, 7075 aluminum worm gear, 360 tooth.
- Dual supported, ball bearing housed stainless steel worm-heat treated and ground.
- Variable slip clutch, both axes. One knob design.
- 1.250” diameter stainless steel shafts.
- Fully locking, unique tangent arm design altitude adjustment, 14-64 degrees, large knob for easy alignment. (8-68
- degrees with small modification).
- Laser engraved latitude scale in 2 degree increments.
- Single knob azimuth control, bi-directional +/- 8.5 degree.
- 5.000" diameter laser engraved setting circles, 4 minute R.A., vernier reading to 1 minute / 1 degrees DEC., vernier reading to 0.1 degree. R.A. circle engraved for Northern and Southern Hemisphere.
- Porter slip ring design.
- 160 oz/in stepper motor, 0.5 arc sec. step.
- Dovetail saddle-plate allows for the interchanging of any tube assembly-reduces need for DEC. weights.
- Removable stainless steel weight shaft w/safety knob.
- 21 lb counterweight - Optional 7 lb and 11 lb extra counterweights available.
- Through the axis polar scope, works in Northern and Southern Hemisphere. Polar scope optional.
- Instrument weight capacity 60 lbs.
- Equatorial head weight 36 lbs.
- Dual Axis Electronics: Diamond push button pattern.
- R.A. and DEC. reversing switches.
- Three guiding rates - 30%, 50% and 2x sidereal rate.
- Three setting rates - 4x, 8x, 16x sidereal rate.
- Quartz tracking rates: sidereal, solar, lunar, king.
- Periodic Error Correction (PEC).
- Programmable DEC. Backlash Compensation (TVC).
- Control panel dimmer.
- Accepts auto-guider systems.
- Northern and Southern Hemisphere operation
- 12 volt DC - 500ma power use.
- Tiltable control panel for easy access.
- Small hand control box for comfortable use.
Losmandy Gemini 2 GoTo System...
The Losmandy Gemini 2 system is a DC servo motor based GOTO computerized positioning system designed for the Losmandy HGM-TITAN, G-11 and G-8 mounts. The Gemini 2 system has many features designed to quickly and accurately point the telescope to an object, then track it with even higher precision than the previous digital stepper drive used by Losmandy. The choice of servo motors gives two main advantages over stepper motor based systems. Servo motors run with a continuous smooth rotation, rather than discreet steps as with stepper motors. They also have very high torque, even at high slewing speeds. As a result the Gemini 2 system can deliver up to 8 degrees per second slewing rates with the G-8 mount, 6 with the G-11 and 5 with the HGM-TITAN.
Gemini 2 can be used as a stand alone system in the field. It can be powered by any 3A, 12-18 Volt DC source. No personal computer is required. A user brightness adjustable Touch Screen Display allows navigation through all internal databases for field use without a PC. The following databases comprising of over 40,000 objects are built into the Gemini system, more than enough to keep even the most avid observer busy for some time!
- 168 BSL.guc
- 303 Combined_Constellation_Stars.guc
- 5437 IC.guc
- 1125 LBN.guc
- 1787 LDN.guc
- 110 Messier.guc
- 8290 NGC.guc
- 1143 PN.guc
- 17636 SAO.guc
- 313 Sh2.guc
- 223 Southern_Constellation_Stars.guc
- 3988 WDS.guc
The Gemini 2 system has an impressive list of features:
- Full Color Graphic Touch Screen clearly displays all functions
- Classic four-button pattern for guiding, centering, moving and slewing on both the touch screen and a tactile membrane on the rear.
- Support for the original four-button controller
- For Losmandy GM8, G-11 & Titan mounts
- Custom mount support using the Programmable Gear Rate function
- 8°/sec Slew Rate (GM8)
- 0.5 arcsec positional accuracy
- DC Servos for improved accuracy with higher torque than stepper motors
- GPS-compatible with optional receiver
- Stand-alone system. No PC required!
- Ethernet 10/100 with full IP function permits operation from anywhere using a browser, ASCOM, or app over the web or serial port
- Non-Volatile Memory and Real-Time Clock
- Two USB ports; Virtual COM to PC, ASCOM or planetarium program
- Port E - future high-res encoders
- Port F - multi-function serial; A/D I/O
- Firmware upgrade via internet
- PEC correction
- Auto-Guide port (TTL)
- Dual 12~18V DC input/output (1.5A)
A new Touch Screen Hand Controller is now standard for all Gemini 2 systems. The hand paddle features membrane switches with provide excellent tactile feedback, while centering or moving of the telescope when at the eyepiece. The display works in parallel to the main electronics, allowing users to access all of the main panel functions via the Touch Screen Display.
Gemini 2 uses a Meade LX200 command sub-set, with most LX200 commands being implemented. The user can update the internal real time clock via a GPS unit, as well as user location information. Coupled with The Sky by software Bisque and CCD camera, users can confidently determine the positions of minor planets and comets, and place them on a CCD detector time and time again.
Losmandy Gemini 2The Gemini 2 design incorporates surface mounted PC board technology for reliable performance in the field. The main control board also has auto-guider and accessory ports to allow full remote control of the system via a Web server from anywhere in the world. (Gemini 2 has been successfully tested with Software Bisques IAS server software).
The Gemini 2 system has built in "T-Point" like pointing software that can use from one to many stars to refine its pointing accuracy. With multi-star modeling pointing accuracy has been measured to within three arc minutes around the entire sky, and to less than one arc minute with short slews from an updated position located within a few degrees of a reference object. Gemini 2 is also fully T-Point (Software Bisque) compatible. Extended personal computer based T-Point modelling runs can give better than 1 arc minute positioning accuracy across the entire sky! Further, with Gemini's warm re-start option, previously stored PC T-point data can be reused without the need to conduct a short mapping run.
How accurate is Gemini?
Pictured is a T-Point summary of a 60 star mapping run with a Losmandy mount fitted with Gemini 2. Note the Sky RMS pointing of 26.27 arc seconds. While some manufacturers claim incredible accuracies with their GoTo systems, few will actually state actual results as shown above. While single star alignment assumes that your Losmandy mount is accurately polar aligned, the Gemini 2 system only requires rough polar alignment to deliver excellent pointing accuracy across the entire sky using multi-star alignment models.
Manufacturer Product Number: G11GLT
- Additional Information
SKU LO-G11GLT Head Design Equatorial Tripod or Pier Included? No GPS Included? No Electronics Included Computerized - GoTo Manufacturer Losmandy Warranty 1 Year Warranty Hand Controller Included Losmandy Gemini 2 Touchscreen # of Counterweights Included 1 Weight of Counterweights 21 lbs. Tracking Rates Lunar, Sidereal, Solar Objects in Database 40,000 + Saddle Width D Series Weight Capacity 60 lbs. Material Aluminum Power Supply Included DC Battery Adapter Tracking Modes EQ North, EQ South Latitude Range 14º - 64º
- Included Items
- G11 Mount Head
- Gemini 2 System
- Questions & Answers
Product QuestionsDoes the stated instrument capacity load rating of 60lbs valid for imaging?, or do I need to assume 1/2 that rating, as we do for other general purpose mounts? I note that the higher end mounts (paramount) provide capacity ratings that are valid for imaging purposes, but did not know if the G11 is of that mindset, being in the middle ground.Question by: Paul Allikas on Mar 19, 2016 5:06:00 AMAs an American-made mid-level mount, we usually recommend 60 lbs for visual and around 45-50 lbs for imaging. The machining and tolerances are much better than lower cost imported mounts, but not quite as high as top-end imaging mounts costing double or more the G11's price. This is a very solid mount and a great value for the price, but I would recommend not *quite* maxing out the capacity for imaging - especially in windy areas.Answer by: Chris Hendren (Admin) on Mar 21, 2016 2:24:00 PMDoes the Gemini GOTO System use a closed-loop encoders? If the clutch is loosened and the mount repositioned manually, does it lose its alignment?Question by: Rabbit on Feb 13, 2015 10:39:43 AMThe encoders on the Gemini 2 GoTo system are in the servo motors and are not closed loop. Moving the mount manually will result in a loss of computer alignment unless you then move the mount back to the same point before slewing the mount to another object.Answer by: Chris (Admin) on Feb 18, 2015 10:49:04 AM
- Support / Downloads