ZWO ASI178MC Astronomy Cooled Camera - Color
This ZWO ASI178MC Astronomy Camera includes the back illuminated 6.4M resolution Sony IMX178 image sensor. This 1/1.8" CMOS sensor has a 3096 x 2080 pixel array and a 2.4 µm square pixel size. With a 14bit ADC, extremely low read noise of 2.2 e, and superior sensitivity combine to make the ZWO ASI178MC an excellent camera for both astronomy and microscopy, excelling in deep sky imaging.
This cooled version incorporates active TEC temperature control for the ability to cool the sensor to 35C to 40C degrees below ambient. This enhanced cooling control offers the best image stability for longer imaging sessions.
Sony IMX178 CMOS Sensor Features
- The Sony IMX178 back illuminated CMOS image sensor offers high sensitivity, resolution and dynamic range.
- The IMX185 is an "Exmor R" sensor with notably improved imaging features, including sensitivity and low read noise, by correcting the basic structure of "Exmor" adopted column parallel A/D converter to back illuminated type.
- The IMX178 is a Sony STARVIS sensor and has a sensitivity of 2000mV+ per 1 micron square (when imaging with a 706 cd/m2 light source, f/5.6 in 1 second accumulation correspondent), and provides superior image quality in the visible and near IR light regions.
- 14 bit output helps achieve high dynamic range which lessened quantization noise and hidden dark random noise. This facilitates clear image quality in light and dark areas, even with high contrast imaging targets.
- Everything required to control your ZWO Astronomy Camera is readily available at the ZWO website.
ZWO ASI178MC Color Astronomy Camera Specifications
- Sensor: 1/1.8” CMOS IMX178
- Resolution: 6.4 Mega Pixels
- Pixel Array: 3096 x 2080
- Pixel Size: 2.4µm x 2.4µm
- Sensor Size: 7.4mm x 5mm
- Diagonal: 8.92mm
- Exposure Range: 32 microseconds to 1,000 seconds
- ROI: Supported
- ST4 Guider Port: Yes
- Focus Distance to Sensor: 12.5mm
- Shutter Type: Rolling Shutter
- Window: IR-Cut
- Operating System Compatibility: Mac, Windows, Linux
- Interface: USB 3.0/ USB 2.0
- Bit rate: 14bit output (14bit ADC)
- Adapter: 2"-1.25" (M42x0.75)
- Dimensions: 62mm x 36mm
- Weight: 4.23 oz. (without lens)
- Working Temperature: -5°C - 45°C
- Storage Temperature: -20°C - 60°C
- Working Relative Humidity: 20% - 80%
- Storage Relative Humidity: 20% - 95%
ZWO Product Number: ASI178MC-COOL
- Additional Information
SKU ZWO-ASI178MC-C Manufacturer ZWO Color or B&W? Color Sensor Type CMOS Series ZWO ASI Pixel Size < 5 Microns Chip Diagonal 8.1mm - 10mm Sensor Manufacturer Sony # of Sensors Single Sensor Front or Back Illumination Back Illuminated Sensor Model IMX178 Pixel Size in Micrometers 2.4 µm x 2.4 µm Pixel Array 3096 x 2080 Sensor Diagonal 8.92mm Minimum Exposure Time 0.000032 seconds Maximum Exposure Time 1000 seconds Shutter Type Rolling Electronic Filter Wheel No Interface USB 3.0 Operating System Compatibility Linux (3rd Party), Mac, Windows Camera Cooling Type Thermo-electric Cooling (TEC) Camera Body Dimensions 62mm x 36mm Camera Weight 4.23 oz.
- Included Items
- ZWO ASI178MC Color Astronomy Camera
- Sony IMX CMOS Image Sensor
- 2.5mm All Sky Camera Lens Adapter
- 1.25" Nosepiece
- 1.25" Clear Window
- 2 m USB Cable
- 2 m ST4 Guider Cable
- Questions & Answers
Product QuestionsDoes this camera have T threads to attach to lenses? Also, has anyone supplied astrophotographic images with this camera?
Thanks!Question by: Rich Brand on Jan 29, 2016 10:29:00 AMThe ASI178MC Cooled camera has t2 thread and a back focus of 17.5mm, so you would need T2 thread spacers and a lens adapter to adapt various lenses to this body. The 178 is a very new camera, but the manufacturer does show a couple early images like this one of NGC891: http://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/wp-content/uploads/ngc891.jpg.Answer by: Chris Hendren (Admin) on Feb 1, 2016 6:36:00 PM
- Support / Downloads