Starlight Xpress Trius 825 Imaging Package
Includes SX-825 Mono, Mini Filter Wheel with Integrated OAG
and Lodestar X2 Autoguider
Starlight Xpress Trius SX-825 USB Hub Monochrome CCD Camera
Starlight Xpress has always been renowned for small, compact, innovative designs, along with excellent build quality. The new Trius range of deep-sky, cooled CCD cameras has just taken these values to a whole new level.
In addition to the already super low-noise performance of the previous generations of SXV, SXVF, & SXVR cameras, the new Trius range is even better, whilst still offering fast download times of approximately 2 million pixels per second.
Remarkably, Starlight Xpress has also managed to incorporate a complete powered USB hub into the main camera, which offers 3x USB 2.0 ports at the rear of the camera. Each port is capable of delivering up to 200mA, thus able to drive a Lodestar, SuperStar or CoStar for guiding leaving another two USB ports for a USB filter wheel and one other peripheral. This integration greatly reduces the number of cable trails back to the computer and gives less potential for cables tangling around the mount during your imaging session.
New Peltier cooler combinations have been designed into the Trius cameras, along with an Argon-Filled CCD chamber, allowing a greater differential cooling delta to be achieved.
Below are some of the innovative design features of the new Starlight Xpress Trius cameras:
Rear Camera Panel: The Trius camera provides multiple inputs and outputs. The main control connections to the camera are the USB2.0 socket that controls the camera from the computer and the +12v DC jack socket which provides power (approximately 1.25Amps at 12v DC). In addition, there is an RJ11 Guider Port output that is opto-isolated and will drive any standard active low guider input via the RJ11 ‘telephone’ lead provided. The remaining sockets are three Mini-5pin USB2.0 sockets that can be used to power up to three different USB devices, such as a Lodestar Autoguider, an SX USB Filter Wheel and a focuser. Each USB port is capable of providing 5v DC at a maximum of 200mA.
Fused Silica Window: Unlike less expensive cameras, Starlight Xpress fits a specially manufactured fused silica window, with a 7 layer anti-reflective coating, to all of their Trius cameras. This offers exceptional strength and heat transfer characteristics to ensure there is less chance of dewing of the front window during humid weather.
Efficient Cooling System: The cooling system is designed for the most efficient cooling possible in a small compact package. The Trius cameras are fitted with a new peltier cooler configuration to give approximately -40ºC delta T. A built in fan at the rear of the camera draws air in through small holes in the front of the barrel (which increases the surface area to aid the convection), through the heatsink where all the heat is generated, and expels it out of the rear of the camera. An additional fan is fitted to the side, just to help keep the external body at the ambient temperature during warmer weather. Set-Point Cooling as standard.
Argon Filled CCD Filter: Argon filled CCD chambers are normally only associated with really highend cameras; the new Trius cameras have dry argon injected into the CCD chamber to ensure there is no moisture to condense on the CCD during the cooling process. The low thermal conductivity of argon also helps with the cooling process, allowing a lower delta T to be achieved.
Unique Tilted Camera Front: This unique approach to camera design allows the front plate of the camera to be orthogonally aligned to ensure that the CCD and the optics are parallel to each other. This enables the user to adjust for any collimation issues throughout the whole optical train, to ensure pinpoint stars across the entire field.
About the Sony ICX825ALA Progressive Scan Sensor
The Sony ICX825ALA monochrome progressive scan sensor offers an array of 1472 x 1050 (11 mm diagonal) pixels that are 6.45uM square. This Type 2/3 chip has improved sensitivity, higher dynamic range, improved quantum efficiency as compared to its venerable predecessor, the ICX285. The addition of Sony’s EXview HAD CCD II technology has also improved sensitivity in the near IR.
Optimization of the vertical register, readout gate and channel stop regions of the sensor has suppressed the dark current and improved the electronic charges handled by the vertical registers. In addition, it maximized the photoelectric conversion of the sensor as well as enhancing its saturation signal level.
Taking full advantage of Sony's excellent fabrication technology has enabled changes in the electrode wiring structure and the lens structure that maximize sensor aperture and lowers the layer of the on-chip microlenses, resulting in improved light-collecting efficiency. When a lower f-number is used, the ICX825 sensor controls the reduction in light-collecting efficiency caused by changes in light incident angle. In addition, better light-collecting efficiency and a reduction in the thickness of the oxide film below the photo-shielding film have diminished contamination of signals by smearing in the vertical register and raised characteristics.
The Sony ICX825 contributes to higher quality sets by improving sensitivity by 3.7 dB, smear by 5 dB and dynamic range by 6 dB, and provides better image quality by balancing high sensitivity and wide dynamic range as compared to the ICX285. Also, use of "EXview HAD CCD II" technology has improved high sensitivity in the near infrared light region. Thus, the image sensors are suitable for day and night as well as near infrared shooting, while providing sufficient performance. The quantum efficiency at wavelength 850 nm is improved by 7.0 dB over the ICX285AL
- CCD Type: Sony ICX825ALA (mono) EXview CCD
- Pixel Size: 6.45uM x 6.45uM
- Image Format: 1472 x 1050 pixels
- CCD Diagonal: 11 mm
- Max QE: 77%
- Readout Noise: Less than 7 electrons RMS - typically only 5 electrons.
- Data format: 16 bits
- Computer Interface: Built-in USB 2.0 compatible interface with 3 port USB 2 hub for peripheral devices.
- Image download time: Typically 2 seconds at full resolution using USB 2.0
- Power requirements: 115VAC / 240VAC @ 12VA, or 12VDC @ 900mA max.
- Cooling system: Regulated set-point cooling supply with two stage thermoelectric cooler to give a CCD temperature of better than -30C below ambient.
- Size: 75 x 70mm black anodized aluminum barrel with 42mm 'T2' thread at the CCD window end & input/output plugs at rear.
- Weight: approx. 400g.
Starlight Xpress Mini Filter Wheel with Integrated OAG
The Starlight Xpress Mini USB Filter Wheel with off-axis guide prism is a compact solution for mobile setups, or where the lightest possible wheel and guider are required. The wheel is USB controlled and powered, with 5 filter positions for 1.25” mounted filters, and the OAG is pre-set to be close to par-focal with most SX cameras. The Starlight Xpress Lodestar guide camera (included in this package) is an ideal match to the integrated OAG pick-off tube.
Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2 Autoguider
For years, the Lodestar has been held in the highest regard as being the best autoguider on the market. The innovative minds at Starlight Xpress have been trying to improve on the iconic Lodestar since it’s conception; however, this has proved to be very difficult to achieve - until now that is.
Introducing the Lodestar X2; the latest and most sensitive compact guide camera from Starlight Xpress.
Big things can come in small packages and the Lodestar X2, really is no exception. This compact guide camera is packed full of great features:
- 1.25" diameter allows it to drop neatly into your 1.25" eyepiece holder - no additional adapters required.
- Large imaging area (6.45mm x 4.75mm) gives you a wide field of view to find a suitable guide star.
- Sensitivity - with an impressive 77% QE, and large pixels, the Lodestar X2 just sucks up those photons. Sensitivity is key, but combined with the incredibly low noise of the Lodestar X2, finding a guide star has just become even easier.
- Full size RJ12 Autoguider Port - No need to run extra cables from your computer to control your mount corrections.
- Powered by the USB of your computer so there's no need to carry an extra power supply with you - one less thing to forget when you are on your way to the Star Party.
- Compact and solid aluminum construction.
Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2 Autoguider Specifications...
- CCD type: ICX829AL Sony Exview interline CCD with very low dark current and vertical anti-blooming
- CCD Full resolution Pixel data: Pixel size: 8.2uM x 8.4uM, Image format: 752 x 580 pixels
- CCD Image area: 6.4mm (Horizontal) x 4.75mm (Vertical)
- CCD quality: Grade 1
- Spectral Response: QE max at 620nM (~77%), 45% at 400nM and 770nM
- Readout Noise: Less than 10 electrons RMS - typically only 6 electrons
- Full-well capacity: Greater than 50,000 e- (unbinned)
- Anti-blooming: Overload margin greater than 1000x
- Dark current: Dark frame saturation time greater than 1 hour. Less than 0.1 electrons/second @ + 10C ambient
- Data format: 16 bits
- System gain: 0.4 electrons per ADU
- Computer Interface: Built-in USB 2.0 compatible interface
- Image download time: Typically 0.2 seconds at full resolution using USB 2.0
- Power requirements: USB powered
- Cooling system: Ambient air cooling
- Size: 32 x 86mm black anodized aluminium barrel with 1” x 32tpi ‘C mount’ thread at the CCD window end & input/output plugs at rear
- Weight: approx. 85 g (3 oz.)
- Additional Information
SKU SX-SX-825-COMBO Manufacturer Starlight Xpress Color or B&W? Monochrome (B&W) Sensor Type Interline Transfer Series Starlight Xpress Trius SX Pixel Size 5-7 Microns Chip Diagonal 10.1mm - 12mm Warranty 1 Year Warranty Sensor Manufacturer Sony # of Sensors Single Sensor Front or Back Illumination Front Illuminated Sensor Model ICX825 Anti-Blooming Sensor? yes Quantum Efficiency 77% Pixel Size in Micrometers 6.45 x 6.45 Pixel Array 1472 x 1050 Sensor Diagonal 11 mm Integrated Guider? Yes, in filter wheel Focus Distance To Sensor 17 mm Shutter Type Electronic Filter Wheel Yes Interface USB 2.0 Operating System Compatibility Windows Camera Cooling Type Fan - Built In Camera Body Dimensions 3" x 2.8" Camera Weight 1 lb.
- Included Items
- Starlight Xpress Trius CCD Camera Body
- Sony ICX825ALA Monochrome Sensor
- Cooling Fan
- 1.25" draw tube adapter with 1.25" filter thread
- 2" draw tube adapter with M42 thread
- Guider output to guider port lead
- Universal AC Power Supply
- USB Cable
- Disk with control software and instruction manual
- Mini Five Position 1.25” Filter Wheel with Integrated Off-Axis-Guider
- Lodestar X2 Autoguider
- Questions & Answers
Product QuestionsNo questions yet. Be the first to ask the question!
- Support / Downloads