The Starlight Xpress Ultrastar Mini CCD Camera - Color
Borrowing from the same compact concept as the Starlight Xpress Lodestar, the Ultrastar is highly sensitive miniature CCD camera with both guiding and imaging capabilities. Low internal noise and ease of use make the Ultrastar an exceptional primary camera choice for the beginning astro-photograher and a premium guide camera for the intermediate to advanced user.
Perhaps the Ultrastar's greatest feature is the ability to stack images while shooting. When used in conjunction with Starlight LIVE software, the Ultrastar will provide a build-as-you-go imaging experience. Rich detail is exposed when short exposures are combined over the course of the imaging session making it a great choice for outreach and educational situations where students and participants can see their final imaging results with almost instant satisification, without the tedium of post-processing. While the camera is uncooled, the internal noise levels are very low. Warm pixels are simply removed by applying hot pixel filters, stacking dithered images or using conventional dark frame subtraction. Starlight Xpress' original image processing software is included to allow for as much fine-tuning as you please.
The Ultrastar is extremely compact and perfect for grab-and-go imaging set ups. If you love to travel, camp or hike to more remote locations for imaging or own a very lightweight setup this is the camera for you! Powered by mini-USB which connects through the rear of the camera, the Ultrastar draws less than 200mA. Leave the extra power supply at home! The camera is a featherweight at only 3 ounces. It will never bog down your gear on even the most lightweight of imaging set ups.
For those seeking a premium guide camera, the Ultrastar provides nearly twice the imaging area of the Lodestar. The Sony ExView 2/3" format CCD chip also provides progressive scanning and better dark current performance.
Additional Key Features
- 1.25" diameter allows the Ultrastar to drop neatly into your 1.25" eyepiece holder, no extra adapters needed.
- Large imaging area: A 8.98mm x 6.71mm imaging area gives you ample space for wide field imaging of galaxies, nebulae and for finding a guide star with ease.
- Impressive 75% QE, the Sony ExView ICX825AL Color Grade 1 CCD chip has large 6.45 micron square pixels to quickly and effectively gather light.
- Verical anti-blooming keeps light from "spilling over" into unwanted pixels.
- Full size RJ12 Autoguider port. Eliminates extra cables from your computer to your mount for mount corrections.
- USB 2.0 powered. 2 frame per second at full resolution download speed.
- Aluminum construction for durability.
- CCD Sensor: Sony ICX825AL ExView Color Sensor
- Vertical Anti-Blooming, Overload Margin Greater Than 1000x
- Pixel Size: 6.45 Micron Square
- Array: 1392 x 1040 Pixels
- Image Area: 8.98 x 6.71mm
- Spectral Response: Approx. 75% QE at 620nm, 45% at 400 and 770nm
- Readout Noise: Typically 5 Electrons RMS
- Full Well Capacity: Greater Than 23,000 e- Unbinned
- Dark Current: Dark Frame Saturation Time Greater Than 1 Hour. Less Than 0.1 Electrons/ Second at +10C Ambient.
- Data Format: 16 Bit.
- System Gain: 0.3 e/ ADU
- Computer Interface: Built-in USB 2.0 Compatible Interface
- Image Download Time: 2 Frames/ Second at Full Resolution
- Power Requirements: USB Powered (cable provided)
- Cooling System: Ambient Air Cooling
- Size: 1.25" Diameter by 3.35" Long
- Finish: Black Anodized Aluminum
- Adapter: Built-in C Thread
- Weight: Approx. 3 Ounces
- Additional Information
SKU SX-ULTRASTAR-C Manufacturer Starlight Xpress Color or B&W? Color Series Starlight Xpress Ultrastar Pixel Size 5-7 Microns Chip Diagonal 10.1mm - 12mm Warranty 1 Year Warranty Sensor Manufacturer Sony # of Sensors Single Sensor Sensor Model ICX825 CCD Class Class 1 Anti-Blooming Sensor? yes Micro-lensing Sensor? no Quantum Efficiency 75% @ 620nm, 45% @ 400nm and 770nm Blue Enhanced Sensor? no Full Well Capacity greater than 23,000 e- (unbanned) Pixel Size in Micrometers 6.45 x 6.45 micron Pixel Array 1392 x 1040 pixels Sensor Diagonal 11.21mm Integrated Guider? Yes, in camera Shutter Type Digital Dark Current Saturation time greater than one hour. Less than 0.1 electrons/second @ +10C ambient. Filter Wheel No Interface mini-USB 2.0 Included Software LIVE and standard processing Camera Body Dimensions 1.25" round x 3.35" long Camera Weight 3 ounces
- Included Items
- Starlight Xpress Ultrastar
- Mini-USB 2.0 Cable
- Starlight Xpress LIVE Processing Software
- Starlight Xpress Image Processing Software
- Questions & Answers
Product QuestionsIs this camera suitable for "live" video? I have been using 2 different Mallincams and am interested in changing. Looking for nice live images in under 30 second exposure. C 14 HD with focal reducers. Thanks LouQuestion by: Lou Halikman on Aug 12, 2016 5:27:00 AMYes, this camera is suitable for Live video if attached to a laptop. Starlight Xpress also offers its own live viewing software, Starlight Live, for free. The software will automatically stack the frames on the fly. In other words, the image will look better the longer you view the object.
You can download the software here:
https://www.sxccd.com/downloads/StarlightLive.osx.3.1.zipAnswer by: Jonathan Cheek (Admin) on Aug 15, 2016 11:26:00 AM
- Support / Downloads