Add GPS to your Meade 497 Autostar/AudioStar Telescopes!
StarGPS NX for Meade 497 AutoStar/AudioStar Telescopes
Imagine the possiblities if your telescope could access the Global Positioning System... so that it always knew when and where you were observing from. No more checking your watch. No more looking up site coordinates or fiddling with the keypad to enter the date, time, latitude and longitude. StarGPS has solved your problems! It utilizes a single cable to connect your telescope to a GPS receiver smaller than a computer mouse and automatically input these values - making your telescope setup much easier and more precise!
StarGPS-NX is a "plug-and-play" solution for use with the Celestron NexStar, Meade Autostar-AudioStar, LX200 Classic and Losmandy Gemini telescopes. It includes a GPS-NX02 receiver and the proper cable for your telescope. No software is required since the GPS receiver outputs commands and data the telescope already understands. Simply connect the GPS to your telescope, turn on the scope, and watch the GPS LED indicate:
The GPS-ASTAR cable, which connects the GPS Receiver to a 495/497 Autostar/AudioStar. The PS/2 plug connects to the GPS. The short cable plugs into an AUX port on the telescope (to power the GPS). The long cable plugs into the controller so it can receive data from the GPS.
IMPORTANT: The following handset software versions have a bug in at least one LX200 command such as "set latitude" or "set date": Autostar 497 (27, 30, 35, 40, 41, 42), Autostar 497EP (all versions), Audiostar (versions prior to A3S4). If your handset displays any of these version numbers (eg. ) you must update your handset using StarPatch, see http://www.stargps.ca/StarPatch.htm. With the free trial version of StarPatch you must uncheck the "GPS Setup" option before doing an "Update Handset". You can check the software version by watching the top right corner of the handset display just after turning on the power.
What I have always liked about all the StarGPS units...is that they are simple: no setup required, no CD to download, no drivers, no fuss. Just plug it in and it does the work for you...These are products that work, and once installed you can forget about them and enjoy the night sky. Then, next time you are ready to fire up the telescope again....StarGPS NX02 is ready and waiting.
-Dr. P. Clay Sherrod, Arkansas Sky Observatories
Features of the Star GPS Receiver...
- Fast time-to-first-fix and low power consumption
- High performance 65-channel SkyTraq chipset
- Supports standard NMEA-0183, Meade LX200, Celestron NexStar, Synta Binary and Vixen HTTP protocols
- Automatically detects telescope type (Meade, Celestron, Synta, Vixen or none)
- Switches to standard NMEA output after 45 seconds if no telescope is detected
- Lithium cell sustains internal clock and memory (recharges during normal operation)
- LED power indicator blinks to indicate receiver status
- Automatic cold start with no user initialization required
- Compact design with integrated antenna/receiver
- One-year warranty (parts and labor)
|Warranty||1 Year Warranty|
- High Performance GPS-NX02 Receiver
- GPS-ASTAR Cable
- Add GPS to an LXD75 Review by Turtle47
1= Houston, We Have a Problem & 5= It's Out of This World