Orion Extra Narrowband 1.25" Sulfur II Filter
The S-II filter passes light at the 672.4nm wavelength (the Sulfur-II line in the deep red end of the visual spectrum) with very high 90% transmission and a bandpass of 7nm. It complements the Orion H-alpha and Oxygen-III extra-narrowband filters, which together allow advanced tricolor imaging of emission nebulas with the StarShoot Deep Space Monochrome CCD Imaging Camera or other monochrome CCD cameras.
These 1.25" filters are made from high-grade glass and feature vacuum-deposited dichroic interference coatings and antireflection coatings. All three are parfocal, meaning no refocusing is needed when switching among them. Each filter is held in an anodized aluminum cell that is threaded to fit a standard CCD camera 1.25" nosepiece or the Orion Multiple Filter Wheel.
Images taken with extra-narrowband filters typically look much different from those acquired using standard "true color" (RGB) methods. Rather than rendering an image in its natural color, the extra-narrowband filters provide a visual representation of the elemental makeup of a nebula, highlighting with assigned colors the areas where the light derives predominantly from either Sulfur-II, Oxygen-III, or Hydrogen-alpha ions. This is the approach used by astronomers for many of the nebula pictures taken with the Hubble Space Telescope. The extra-narrowband "false color" images, while beautiful, also reveal much about a the chemical composition of the nebula and its various features.
So if you're ready to go beyond RGB imaging and capture your favorite nebulas in a revealing new light - no matter how light-polluted your skies -- add the Orion S-II (and O-III and H-alpha) Extra-Narrowband filter to your imaging arsenal! Includes protective plastic case.
Orion Extra Narrowband 1.25" Sulfur II Filter Features...
- Sulfur-II astrophotography filter allows high-contrast imaging even in light polluted skies
- Filter passes light at 672.4nm wavelength (S-II line) with a narrow bandpass of 7nm
- Very high 90% transmission of S-II light allows stunning astrophotos to be captured in city skies
- 1.25" astrophotography filter made from high-grade glass with dichroic interference and antireflection coatings
- Use with Orion O-III and H-alpha extra-narrowband imaging filters for tricolor CCD astrophotography
|Type of Filter||Sulfur II|
|Single or Set?||Single Filter|
|Warranty||Orion Limited Warranty|
- Orion Extra Narrowband 1.25" Sulfur II Filter
- Plastic Case