Meade 16" f/10 LX200-ACF Advanced Coma-Free Telescope With Altazimuth Pier
A traditional RC design is a type of reflector that delivers a coma-free, flat field of view via hyperbolic primary and secondary mirrors. RC telescopes (from a variety of manufacturers) are found in most of the world's top observatories and NASA's Hubble Space Telescope. Because the mirrors in these telescopes have always been very expensive to make, few amateur astronomers could enjoy them. Fortunately, Meade engineers developed a radical new Advanced Coma Free design by combining a hyperbolic secondary mirror with a corrector-lens-and-spherical-primary-mirror combination that performs as one hyperbolic element. This ACF design produces a coma-free, flat field of view that rivals traditional RC telescopes at a fraction of the cost. The design even eliminates diffraction spikes and improves astigmatism, both of which are inherent in the traditional RC design. When reviewing Meade's LX400-ACF Advanced Coma Free, Sky and Telescope magazine said, " does indeed perform like a . The difference between the off-axis images (compared to a Schmidt-Cassegrain) was dramatic to say the least."
Meade 16" f/10 LX200-ACF Advanced Coma-Free Telescope Features...
f/10 Advanced Coma-Free Optics: Building from a classic RC design, Meade has created a new design with the same coma-free pinpoint star images and flatter field that discerning astrophotographers and most professional observatories have come to expect from classic Ritchey-Chrétien optics. Meade's Advanced Coma-Free system also reduces the astigmatism and eliminates diffractions spikes found in classical RCs. The LX200-ACF is the perfect platform for the demanding researcher and imaging enthusiast with telescopes available in apertures of 8 inches, 10 inches, 12 inches, and 16 inches.
- Meade Ultra-High Transmission Coatings (UHTCT) increases total light transmission and image brightness by nearly 20% over Meade's standard coatings. Objects such as stars, galaxies and nebulae will appear significantly brighter.
- Zero Image-Shift Microfocuser allows you to obtain precise image focus with no image movement.
- Primary Mirror Lock locks the mirror in place during long-exposure astrophotography.
- Oversize Primary Mirror diameters are greater than their listed aperture (e.g., the diameter of the 8" LX200-ACF is actually 8.25"). This additional 1/4" yields a wide, fully illuminated field-of-view.
- Smart Mount™ constantly refines pointing accuracy each time an object is centered and updated. Compatible with both equatorial and altazimuth mounts.
- Coma Killer - What is coma? It's not some sort of astronomical state of unconsciousness. It's an optical aberration. Precisely defined, coma is a distortion in which the image of a star cannot be focused to a point, but takes on the shape of a comet.
- Smart Drive provides permanent periodic error correction (PPEC) on both axes by learning and averaging error over the course of one or more training periods, thereby minimizing guiding corrections during long-exposure photographs. PPEC is available on both axes and functions in both polar and altazimuth modes.
- Sony®GPS Receiver Sensor automatically inputs precise time, date, and geographical location to help quickly and precisely align the telescope.
- AutoAlign - Telescopes with Meade's new AutoAlign come pre-aligned.They are smart scopes that know the night sky right out of the box. AutoAlign picks two fail-proof alignment stars for you and places them right in your view-finder. Just center to fine tune your alignment and the wonders of the universe are at your fingertips.
- AutoStar® II controller features "Hot Keys" for quick access to a 145,000 celestial object database. AutoStar II can be updated with the latest software upgrades, guided tours and timely objects like comets.
The Meade LX200-ACF™ telescope brings advanced Coma Free optics within reach of aspiring astronomers everywhere. The Meade LX200-ACF combines a revolutionary new optical system with the field-proven mechanical features of the original Meade LX200 - the most widely used research-grade telescope in astronomy today. Dr. Clay Sherrod says: “I personally know over 100 amateur astronomers using LX200's out-of-the-box (new ones and old ones) to provide research data to professionals around the world. One friend of mine used his 14" LX200 to discover binary asteroids using light curves. It’s remarkable stuff that only the pros could do before.”
Meade guaranties their product to perform as well as promised and the First Light Program was made to prove this to the customers.
If your telescope's workmanship or materials fail within the first 30 days of ownership, Meade will replace it- no questions asked! See the Sales Info/ Services button to your left for more information.
Meade Product Number: 1610-60-02AZ
|Telescope Series||Meade LX200|
|Optical Design||Modified Cassegrain|
|Mount Type||Alt-Azimuth - GoTo|
|Warranty||1 Year Warranty|
|Telescope Focal Ratio||f/10|
|Telescope Focal Length||4064mm|
|Limiting Stellar Magnitude||15.5|
|Highest Useful Magnification||960x|
|Optical Coatings||Meade UHTC|
|Dew Shield Included?||No, Sold Separately|
|Diagonal Included?||Yes - 1.25" Star Diagonal|
|Eyepiece(s) Included||26mm Super Plossl|
|Optical Tube Weight||66 lbs.|
|Total Telescope Weight||268 lbs.|
|Length of Optical Tube||34.5"|
|Optical Tube Outer Diameter||18"|
|Tube Color or Finish||Gloss White|
|OTA Mount Type||Dual Fork Arms|
|Finder Included||8 x 50 Optical Finder|
|CD ROMs Included||AutoStar Suite|
|Hand Controller Included?||Yes|
|Controller Type||AutoStar II|
|Objects in Database||145,000 Objects|
|Eclips Camera Included?||No|
|OTA Cooling Fan?||Yes|
|Built-in Dew Heater?||No|
|Mount Weight||Not provided by manufacturer|
|Tripod Type Included||Pier - Alt-Az|
|Power Adapter Included||Meade Universal Power Sypply|
- Meade 16" LX200-ACF Telescope
- 8 X 50 Finderscope
- 2" Diagonal with 1.25" Adapter
- #1209 Microfocuser
- 25' AC Power Cord
- AutoStar Suite Astronomer Edition Software
- Alt-Azimuth Permanent Pier
- Series 5000 26mm Plossl Eyepiece
- Operating Instructions
- Foam-Fitted Shipping Box