Celestron CGE Pro 1100 EdgeHD Aplanatic Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope
Introducing the EdgeHD Telescope Series, Celestron’s new flagship telescope line...
Celestron has taken another bold step as the market leader in telescopes with the introduction of our latest series of high-end telescopes. Since the moment they first started producing Schmidt Cassegrain optical systems, Celestron have continued to design high-quality optics with pride. After years of research and development, they have now taken one giant step!
The EdgeHD is Celestron’s latest innovation that will surely be the system of choice for the serious astro-imagers. The new Edge High Definition telescope series features an Aplanatic Schmidt optical system that produces pinpoint star images all the way to the edge of the field. Some optical systems currently on the market may produce coma free images. But there is a difference.... the optical difference. Not only is the Celestron Edge HD coma free, but it also has a built in field flattener to ensure sharp focus all the way to the edge of the field, producing true Astrograph quality images. This results in pinpoint, High Definition star images throughout your astro photograph.
These superior features combined with Celestron's recently introduced CGE Pro and CGEM mounts make the new Celestron HD series the new gold standard in Astro Imaging. The Edge is an aplanatic Schmidt telescope designed to produce aberration-free images across a wide visual and photographic field of view. The optical system was designed to reduce more than just off-axis star coma, but also to give an astrograph quality flat focal plane all the way to the edge of the field of view.
Many optical designs that advertise themselves as “astrograph” quality actually only produce pinpoint stars across a curved focal plane. While this may be acceptable for visual observing, stars will appear out of focus at the edge when used with a flat chip sensor of a digital camera. Edge HD optics produce a focal plane more than three-times flatter than a standard Schmidt Cassegrain telescope and dramatically flatter than other competing coma-free designs. This guarantees you visibly sharp stars across some of the largest CCD chips available today.
Now let's talk about Celestron quality...
The CGE Pro computerized telescope and mount series is Celestron’s newest line of observatory-class German equatorially mounted telescopes geared towards astrophotography. Long favored by astronomy buffs and astrophotograpers, the German Equatorial mount is a time-honored choice for its stability and portability - more stable because the center of gravity is directly over the center of the base and more portable because it can be broken down into smaller components for easy storage and transportation. For astrophotography, the German Equatorial mount offers easier balancing, unlimited space at the rear of the telescope tube to mount a camera, and whole sky access. Now you can enjoy all of the most sought after Celestron NexStar software and database features combined with the high standards and unflinchng tradition of the German Equatorial mount. Just take a look at what the Celestron CGE Pro Mount has to offer...
– Set up and transportation of the Celestron CGE Pro Mount is made easy by separating the mount into smaller, easy-to-carry components. Unlike fork arm mounted telescopes, the CGE’s optical tube can be quickly removed from its mount and can be easily assembled in minutes.
– Recognized for superior stability, German Equatorial mounts place the center of gravity directly over the tripod legs and can be easily polar aligned without the use of an optional equatorial wedge. This proven design reduces the “tuning fork” vibration that can be associated with undersized fork mounts. An improved Super HD Tripod supports the Celestron CGE Pro mount. This fully extendable tripod is made from the finest 2.75” stainless steel and can be raised to a height of 55”. The tripod uses a dual leg support for maximum rigidity with an upper leg brace to provide an outward preload and a lower leg brace providing inward tension.
– The Celestron CGE Pro Mount can easily be balanced in both axes. Simply sliding the counterweight for Right Ascension and moving the optical tube along its dovetail mounting for Declinationaccomplishes balancing the weight of camera equipment and other visual accessories. This means that no additional weight needs to be added to balance the telescope when additional accessories are added.
– The Celestron CGE Pro mount supports the tubes at a single contact point allowing the tube to move freely around its polar axis without making contact with the telescope’s mount. Software features allow the user to set the mounts slew limits to guaranty safe motion. This is particularly useful when adding photographic and CCD instruments that extend from the rear of the telescopes.
- The CGE Pro Mount is compatible with Celestron’s CN-16 GPS accessory
. Combine the GPS and built-in real time clock and these telescopes will keep track and remember their exact location and time without having to enter the information into the hand control. With a maximum payload of 90 lbs. the CGE Pro mount is able to hold the telescope more securely even when fully loaded with all your imaging gear. Improved gearing and motors provide faster slew speeds than ever before with a maximum slew rate of over 5°/per second.
- No-Tool polar alignment with larger hand knobs for both Altitude and Azimuth adjustments are only where it begins with the Celestron CGE Pro Mount. Thanks to technological advancements in the All-Star software, all you have to do is choose any bright alignment star for a software assisted alignment of the mounts polar axis that will have you ready for imaging even if you can't see the North Star.
- The hallmark of any telescope mount is its ability to find, center and track celestial objects with the highest degree of accuracy. With larger .75" pitch diameter worm, precision made cut-steel gears in gearboxes, and seven slot skewed armature motors the CGE Pro delivers typical tracking performance of +-9 arc seconds, which can be further reduced with the mounts permanent periodic error correction (PPEC). Extended tracking pass the Meridian of up to 20 degrees of uninterrupted imaging through the best part of the sky.
Superior mount performance combined with superior edge performance not only creates rounder, more pleasing stars but actually improves the resolution and limiting magnitude when compared to telescopes of equal aperture. When it comes to the Celestron HD series coupled with Celestron’s StarBright XLT coating group on every surface, EdgeHD optics gives you maximum light throughput across the widest visual and photographic spectrum... It's a vision you'll never forget.
Celestron CGE Pro 1100 EdgeHD Aplanatic Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope Features...
- Mirror Support Knobs – Flexible tension clutches hold the mirror in place and reduce image shift when rotating the tube around the mount.
- Tube Vents – Cooling vents located on the rear cell allow hot air to be released from behind the primary mirror.
- Fastar Versatility – All EdgeHD optical tubes are Fastar compatible for imaging down to f/2 with optional accessories.
- Brighter Star Images - Light becomes more concentrated when focused precisely. This maximizes image brightness.
- Proven NexStar computer control technology offers a 40,000 object database with over 100 user-definable objects and expanded information on over 200 objects. Custom database lists of all the most famous deep-sky objects by name and catalog number; the most beautiful double, triple and quadruple stars; variable stars; solar systems; objects and asterisms. All-Star Polar Alignment routine is for both Northern and Southern Hemispheres and Software Features include: Database Filter Limits, Hibernate, five alignment methods and user-defined slew limits.
- Double line, 16-character Liquid Crystal Display Hand Control with backlit LED buttons for easy operation of goto features RS-232 communication port on hand control to control the telescope via a personal computer. Flash upgradeable hand control software and motor control units for downloading product updates over the Internet.
- High quality drive motors with seven slot skewed armature to minimize magnetic cogging for quiet operation and long life. Precision made cut-steel gears in gearbox for improved tracking precision while the 12VDC Servo Motors come with integrated optical encoders
- Precision worm drive system - .75" pitch dia. precision made steel worm preloaded with two .87" OD ball bearings to minimize run-out (a source of periodic error). 255 tooth 6" pitch dia. precision made worm wheel with enveloping brass teeth. Permanent programmable periodic error correction (PEC) - corrects for periodic tracking errors inherent to all worm drives. Spring loaded DEC worm minimizes backlash and makes guiding easy.
- Bearing and Shaft - Main shafts are made from 1.57" diameter steel tubing with .40" wall thickness with two preloaded 2.68" O.D. tapered roller bearings on each axes and the 4 point RA and DEC clutch system mean no-slip pointing precision. Latitude range: 10° to 65° northern or southern hemispheres.
- Autoguide port, PC port and auxiliary ports located on the electronic pier for long exposure astrophotography. RS-232 communication port on hand control to control the telescope via a personal computer and includes NexRemote telescope control software, for advanced control. GPS-compatible with optional CN16 GPS Accessory.
- Included Accessories: A heavy duty stainless steel tripod that's adjustable from 38 - 55", 23mm Axiom Eyepiece, 9X50 Finderscope and 2" Star Diagonal.
Celestron Product Number: 11093